Why won't this work?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Willieo101587, Jun 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

I was at a light store yesterday for a light shade, and was on the lookout for interesting aquarium things. As I turn around, I notice ''400 MW Metal Halide Floodlight - $179'' -- and my eyes lit up. Reality quickly set in, and I relized that there must be a reason I couldn't just slap this puppy over my aquarium and watch my coral frags dance for joy. Is it just the old PAR problem, or some other thing? The whole light fixture looked massive, and it was labeled as a floodlight. (I don't even know why I'm asking all these lighting questions lately. I'm happy with my current system and am in no monetary or spatial positon to upgrade, I'm just curious I guess.)

2. Click Here!

3. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

well the lighting is not the same the kelvins are no where needed example 10000k also the oine that you purchase for a aquarium are made for this purpose not a general use for normal lighting. that will not work but good try though it over myself

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It would work, you should replace the bulb with one that is beneficial for your reef and more eye appealing ;)

Jim

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I agree with Diver. You will need to do a little homework. Check the type of bulb included - Mogul, double ended. And look around to find a bulb in the right color range and compatible with the ballast. Many of these fixtures are designed for outdoor use, and should work ok for your tank.

Mike

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

YOU NEED A BULB THAT STATES SPECIFICALLY >>>FULL SPECTRUM<<<, OR FORGET IT! If the pendant/floodlight says 400watt metal halide and has a ballast to support the bulb being used, it should work. Again as mentioned earlier, make sure that the bulb matches the pendant fitting(mogul or HQI).

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

Yeah...that would make a lot more sense wouldn't it. Thanks everyone, I was just curious.