Why? They were buddies.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by suzique, Aug 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

roflmao!!!!

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

ROFLMAO! ;D Never quite heard it out that way but it works! welcome to the wonderful world of the Devil spawn Clownfish! It a crap shoot as to weather what was a pair in the store remains a pair when you get them into your tank. Usually there isn't any change but they sometime go Bonkers like yours did. Hopefully she will settle down an get back to business, Good luck!

5. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

I would hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. I brought home a mated pair of maroons from the lfs. They had laid eggs together at the lfs. As soon as I put them in my tank one started to pick on the other. It got so bad that I isolated the victim. Unfortunely, it was too late. When I woke up he was dead. She then killed a yellow headed goby and possible stressed a target manderin to death. Maroons are too agressive for me. I compare the one I had to a rabid pitbull. I hope it works out for you.

6. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

This is all normal behavior.. It took our clowns about 2month to finally become "friends" they fought on and off.. I thought she was going to kill him.. Some days were worse than others.. We ended up moving some of the smaller pieces of LR and that helped a little but they were still fighting for dominance.. I joked around with my husband telling him that our clown fish were in a domestic relationship.. lol.. but they did calm down, it just took some time...

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Hence the "Devil Spawn" comment!

8. Click Here!

9. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

Exactly. I now have a pair of black and whites. They are very nice and do not pick on anything.:)

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

It's not the first or last time hobbyists have purchased fish from the same tank thinking there would be no problem.
    However,most fish for sale are kept in tanks with no live rock, or if any, very little, and the fish have nothing to be able to mark their territory with, hence little to no aggression.
    When you bring the fish home, even ones that came from the same tank, presumably you now have live rock in the tank, and, many times the tank is smaller, or at least less crowded with fish.
    Now, the fish have something to stake out a territory, and depending on tank size, overlapping territories mean confrontation that occasionally will work out over time, but many times will mean the end of one or more combatants.