Why? They were buddies.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by suzique, Aug 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Yesterday, I brought home 2 maroon clowns, one yellow one white stripe. They had been together for the last 6 months. I watched them closely, and they got along beautifully. I put them in my tank, and they were side by side all night. This morning, the white stripe was chasing the other clown and taking bites out of its fins. Then it would get close and back up right in the yellow stripes face. I don't have another tank, I know shame on me:cry:. What should I do next?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

It's normal behavior. They will determine a dominant one and stop with the bickering. Sit it out.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Move some rocks around to reestablish territories.

5. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

I hate to move my rocks, they're all big. The Yellow one is taking a beating. The white stripe goes looking for him. Stress coat, isolation, or just hang on.

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Just wait it out, they've got to figure things out. New kid on the block and whatnot. Sucks to watch but it's natural behaivor. One thing I would do is make sure your water quality stays top notch so any damage done can be easily healed.

7. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Thank you, It's been about 5 days since I tested. I'll go do it again. I just thought since they were buds in the tank at the LFS, that they would be in my tank too. Different tanks, different attitudes for all fish?

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

My guess would be that they had their own territories in the fish store tank. New tank= new turf to defend. Mine actually went through this for a few days when I moved them from my QT tank back into the 180... They're best of friends again after a week or so of chasing and biting.

10. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

+1 Most fish pick on each other first time in tank to determine pecking order.

11. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Yup! just like every one stated, simple case of domestic violence taking place...lol
    normal thing

12. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

I've never seen this before, so it's pretty interesting. The dominant clown has quit biteing. It keeps the other in a bottom corner, and if it lifts at all, the dominate one pushes it down with its nose and then turns its tail toward it and backs up while flipping it's tail real fast. I don't see any chains, but I could swear I saw a blindfold:eek: