Why SO much bubbles coming out from my skimmer???

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by yheartsp, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

It's been this way since i got it, the bubbles make the area above the refugium very humid, i'm afraid it'll spoil my lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a venturi skimmer if i'm not mistaken, How do i eradicate this problem? ;D

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

How long has it been running? if it is new or new to you it will need to break in and would be normal. This means that after about 2 weeks (hopefully less) the problem will stop. You also might not have found the sweet spot for the skimmer yet. As well as, have it adjusted properly.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I take it what I am seeing is the out put is under water? If you can put one of those round cylinder foam used for over the in-flow of a pump, try that.

5. yheartsp

its been running for 2 months now, been the same ever since. what do you mean by the sweet spot? the air intake is at maximum at the water level is where i want it, i'm alright with the skimmate :eek:
    hmm sorry i don't really know what u mean, do you have a picture ? :) most importantly, why are the bubbles coming out?

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

7. cooter181

cooter181 Astrea Snail

Usually you get alot of micro bubbles when the flow rate through the skimmer is to high. The speed of the water passing through the skimmer drags a bunch of the bubbles out with it. If there is a way you can slow the flow rate it should help alot. HTH

8. Click Here!

9. yheartsp

10. yheartsp

there is a valve controlling the water going out of the skimmer cone, so i think that would be slowing down the flow rate already? :eek: or maybe the water would just, move faster
    -__-

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Yes, that is what they do..They create bubbles..Think of it as a fountain, and the fish poop as soap!!!!!;D

12. cooter181

cooter181 Astrea Snail

Each skimmer is a beast unto itself ;D They all have their sweet spot you have to find.