Why RO\DI?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Edward, Oct 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I know a guy who use to use his well water for his 125. After months of everything dieing and not knowing why, he witnessed a cow peeing in to the well. I kid you not. He showed me photos because I called BS when he first told me about it.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

LOL, AZDR is the most knowledgeable guy I know in this forum about RO/DI units and how it works! His post was imminent!

Right on cue! :D
    I love this guy!!

In my experience, I would not use anything but RO/DI water. I was very short on cash when I bought my unit, so I only got an RO unit. Even so, I would never, EVER! go back to buying water from my LFS. The unit pays for itself in a matter of months!

4. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I pay less then half that for the system and don't sell at MSRP. Watts makes some great products, hell they invented the temperature and pressure relief valve found on every water heater. I have been very curious about their zero waste RO system. Know anything about it?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not really a good idea. They use a booster pump to overcome household water pressure and inject the brine or waste into your hot water heater.
    Not really a good idea since hot water heaters and elements fail quick enough on their own without concentrating the junk in them further.
    They also have a 10-15 GPD limitation as there is not much room in the hot water circuit for expansion and additional water/waste.

The idea is a good one, someone just needs to figure out a better way to do it.

I own the MaxCap UHE ultra low waste 1:1 system myself and love it. I am running at slightly less than 1:1 waste even with our high TDS water and it has been flawless for two years now. Spectrapure was able to reduce the waste by using stored DI water to flush the membrane based on input from a microprocessor. It also double flushes with DI on shut down them pickles the membrane in DI so it is freash and clean for next use, this also eliminates TDS creep since its not tap water surrounding the membrane when not in use. Another expensive system but one that can produce well over 100 GPD easily and at 99.35% rejection rate on my water with RO only, they really have something here.

The only disadvantage at this time is it cannot be used for drinking water too since it needs the stored DI to flush.

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Bummer about the Watts system. Not really good if you have a tankless unit. I agree, hot-water systems almost always fail before the cold side of the systems. Good idea from Spectra Pure on the DI storage.