Why NOT to use borax / baking soda

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by wildreef, Jun 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

*thread removed*

Happy now every one ? happy ???

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome thread reef/eagle. Good thing I'm not a chemist. I like to buy the pre-mixed anti-freeze for my cars. Very interesting outcome, something that should definitely be considered when using mixes at home rather than paying a little extra for the pre-mix.

1 person likes this.
  4. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

great info!

1 person likes this.
  5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yep, real good! I;m not gonna be the first in line to try something on my tank that hasn't been proved to work. I'll stick with the pre packaged stuff. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I think you guys need to get the good Dr Howell to register and come on here and talk about this. Im curious how he came about with this analysis exactly. If he has time to run all of these tests, he has time to register on here and discuss them.

My brother in law is working on his PhD in Chemistry at Emory University, and even he said "...something seems fishy about this guys writings"....... "those are not the words of an educated man".

Where/What is WSC? I tried looking it up and found a few community colleges in AL, since that is where wareagle is from, and none of those community colleges had a "Robert Howell" as faculty nor anything about him on their website.

7. sarahlici0us

sarahlici0us Plankton

I don't know if it's just me, or is anybody else confused with the names? There is a Beth mentioned as somebodies fiance, but the Doctor refers to a Mary.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

oh dear, this is a case for Sherlock Holmes!

10. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Perhaps her name is Mary Beth, as in Mary Elizabeth. There are a few of those in the world. And her professor addresses her by her true first name as it would be listed on a class role sheet. Didn't have time to read all the comments from Dr. Howell but the MSDS sheet alone is enough info for me not to trust myself with a measuring cup and a spoon.

My .02

11. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've been using a 4 to 1 ratio, thats what Tangster recommended to me, no problems at all keeping my levels where I want them. Personally I'm going to follow the advise of someone with 30+ years of saltwater experiences under their belt. Thats not something you can learn in a chem lab :p. I'll take my chances, Tang hasn't led me wrong so far.

12. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

tbh, i didnt even read it - its to small and faint for my eyes to pick up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.