WHY??? no sps

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kmmetalman, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

Tank-75g 110lbs LR 3 inch live sand bed I run a 30g sump with a coralife uv sterilizer and a berlin turbo skimmer. I also have a cpr aqautics hang-on refuge (large size).The tank has been set up for 7 yrs. I have a med. carpet anenome 1 large leather 1 large devls hand (both started as frags). I have a med. volitan lionfish and 1 damsel. This seems to be a light bio-load to me. Lighting consists of 2 150w 10000k halides 2 460nm t-5 54w actinics 2 420nm t-5 54w actinics 9 white leds and 9 blue leds. Corraline algae growth is great. 0-Po4 ,0-No2, 0-Nh3, ph 8.2, Ca 460 No3 is still high at 10 ppm. I try acro once a year and fail every time. I place then at medium height,they turn white!!! I place on the bottom, they turn white!!!! I put them on top, they turn white!!!!!! Should I just give up???? I would appreciate any input on this!!!

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

10ppm of No3 is not high, I wish mine was that low(20ppm). As for the Acro's, the need intense lighting, prestine waters, med-high flow and a good level of Cal(which you have). Have you tested for Alk and Mag? How deep is your tank? How often do you do WC and do you dose anything? Bleaching is usually caused by not enough lighting. How old are the bulbs? Luna

4. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

I do test for alk I test out a little lowbut still acceptable. I use very light dosing for mag/str and Io. The halides are 33 days old(as of 10/03) they get replaced every 6 months. The 460's are 3 months old and the 420's are 4 months old (actinics are on a 6 month rotation of replacement also)The tank is a standard 75 48x18x21 distance from lights to sand bed is 26inches (I use a chiller to maintain temp. at 78 degrees).WC are bi-weekly 20 gallons Kent marine crystals ro-di water aged 10 days before changes

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would stop dosing SR and IO, that gets introduced by the WC, your just adding more. Remember to test for everything that you dose. Have you tested SR and IO? If you decided to buy another arco, place it as high as you can with good flow, but I would wait until you have tested for everything that your dosing. Luna

6. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

Thank you for the advice. I do not test for sr or io i wonder how much damage I'm causing? I am going out to get additional kits tom. Now once I get everything back in order is there a beginner lps I should give a try?

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You could try; Anchor coral, Bubble, frogsprawn and/or a Open Brain. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

Thanks for the help!!! I've always been partial to frogspawn.

10. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I'd personally go for something that requires a little more light and flow if your going to try out some LPS for starters this time. Make sure that some of the toughest LPS (lighting and flow) wise are making it okay in your tank- than give some SPS a shot.

11. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

when i first started sps i had the same lighting 2-150 hqi and didnt have much luck either it seemed when i went to the 250 hqi i was able to keep them healthy ,now i have out of control growth on some especially my montis some acros came back from almost nothing left on the animal ,but there are people who have luck w less light like luna said water quality is important as is movement i have about 5000 gal an hour in my 75. what about montis or some of the easy sps (pocillapora,stylopora ect)? good luck

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Are you running granular activated carbon to remove the toxins that those leather corals are putting out?