Why me? :{

Discussion in 'Algae' started by omard, Jun 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Green hair algae developed only in Nano...none in 125. Likely as the Nano tends to have on the higher side Nitrates...:-[

[​IMG]

Has remained mostly on one very nice zoa rock specimen. :(

Nothing in tank seems to want to eat it...:confused:
    (2 percs, Jewel Damsel, Watchman goby, Blood shrimp, CB shrimp, various snails and hermits)

[​IMG]

Only way I have found to contain it is picking out clumps with fingers every few days. (Note: when doing so, it is important to keep bowl of clear water nearby to rinse fingers between "picks" to insure algae filaments not getting loose in tank water -) (something I read somewhere :-/)

[​IMG]

Probably need to "harvest" more often...also what I likely get from using tap water. :(

[​IMG]

Off to "picking'' ---[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I know your frustration, Omar....I am constantly picking algae out of the overflow...None ever grows in the water column, go figure....

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Rock Urchins! I have a problem in my seahorse tank, due to low flow and lots of phosphates. Got two rock urchins from a friend and I am in awe!

I really wish I had taken some pictures because the difference is amazing. bad part is once they are done with hair algae they will move on the Coraline algae and clean that up too. but in my case they have enough hair algae to last them quite some time. the really cool thing isa they are picking it off in between some of my Zoa's

No this is for regular hair algae not Bryopsis, although I don't know it might work on for that too. But I have regular long filamentous hair algae...

They also have a Pin Cushion Urchin that eats hair algae

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yep, some turbos love it other than that any urchin will go to town on that stuff

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Sahme ya couldint just pull the rock perhaps and scrub the hell out of it to help you along faster, but a 1 good turbo snail after that might help you out real well in that nano.

Dam hair algae,etc. , Makes ya wanna scream , it can be a dam menace.

7. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

I hate this stuff. I got 2 pin cushion urchins and they are fantastic. Only thing with them is that anything small and loose will stick to them. Mine are covered in empty shells.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah i had a blue tuxedo that was a crawling ball of GSP, it picked a new piece up off some rocks and carried it around on it's back for around a month, was pretty funny lol

10. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

I just developed "da hair" big time - 4 month old tank so i think it's part of getting started. I put in 2 sea hares, and they're mowing away already. we'll see if they do as advertised....

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yeah I noticed last night that there were a couple of hermits hanging off of one of mine, looked funny as hell with their little legs swing in the breeze! figure if they are still stuck tonight I will free them up....

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had it in my 5.5 gal. I borrowed a sea hare to solve my problem.. Only took that little sucker about 5 days and my tank was crystal clear.... Then I returned it so it wouldn't starve..