why isnt my salt dissolving

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by helpme, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

i dont understand why isnt my salt dissolving, i mean there's like a little left on the bottom of my empty tank n it doensnt seem to be dissapearing. i've runned my filter for about 2 days from now. but it wouldnt affect much of the pH right? i've tested it n it turned out fine, around 8.3

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    What salinity is it at? What is the manufaturer of the salt and what container have you made it up in?

4. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

i never checked the salinity coz i dont have a hydrometer, the salt brand is Red Sea. i've put 1.5 kg of salt into my 2 feet tank aquarium, which has 45000 litres of water in it. i've calculated everything. dont know what went wrong

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

first thing you gonna want to check your salinity. get a hydrometer its probably the most important test you can get. i would not stock this tank until you have that, and ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test

i think your liters measurement is off your tank would be around 11,000 gallons if it was right

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

What are your tank dimension? I'm pretty sure a 2 foot aquarium doesn't hold 45000 litres. I definitely recommend getting a hydrometer or if you can afford it a refractometer. If you do go for a hyrdrometer I would ask your LFS to calibrate it against their hydrometer because they can out of calibration and rinse it with freshwater after every use to stop salt build up which can affect the reading.

7. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

oh no damn, its 45 litres. 1kg = 30 litres. so i use 1.5 kg = 45 litres. i shall go get the hydrometer tmr

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

When did you make the sea water up? It can take a while to dissolve, but I would definitely recommend something to measure it. I agree with Sostoudt you should really get NH4, NO2 and NO3 test kits for cycling.

10. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

The amount you added sounds about right, as I say it will take a while to dissolve, have you got a pump in there to mix it?

11. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

yea, an over head filter. there's even salt in my filter box -_- i've runned it for about 2 days. thanks anyway, i'll wait for it to dissolve n try stirring it more. lol

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

so 45 litres is basically a 10 gal tank . i know for a 1.024 salinity , its roughly 32 ozs of salt to get there. so if hes using 1.5 kgs , thats roughly abot 50 ozs of salt. that salinity might be a bit on the high side.