why isnt my fish eating?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by helpme, Jul 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

i just set up a FOWLR tank and i started off with having a clownfish in the tank. its the third day now and he hasnt eat anything at all, well maybe 1 pellet. but at other times he just swims near the food and then swims away. could it be it being scared coz its a new tank?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

just to make sure, you did cycle the tank? just asking because of the way you said, just setup and 1st fish. but yes could be getting acclimated, or doesnt like pellets. mine wont eat the pellets but flake and mysis they go after

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

yeah, try other food. Clowns like meaty protien heavy foods. Mine ignore nori but love mysis and aquadine flakes.

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Try frozen mysis shrimp or frozen brine shrimp. You can also try soaking it in garlic (either from the fish store or garlic juice/puree from the supermarked). The fish may not recognize the pellets as food yet.

6. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

i believe it can smell the food? i tried blood worms too, didnt work as well. it went near the worm, then swam away. it did it for a few times b4 i took it out n threw it away. i shall try it again tomorrow

7. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I agree with the others about trying different foods. My clown won't eat flakes but he loves the pellets and will sometimes eat freeze dried mysis shrimp. I guess you just have to find your fish's preference.

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

It has a lot to do with what it was being fed at the LFS. Usually frozen brine or mysis. Once you have it eating you can then try other stuff. Mine would only eat frozen brine when I got her, but now she will eat anything that I put in there.

10. subs

subs Astrea Snail

ther best thing to do there would be just to get him some brian shrimp to get him eating

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Is that a new shrimp or do you mean "brine" shrimp?

12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

1 person likes this.