Why is my wet dry gurgling???

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by russki1313, Aug 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. russki1313

russki1313 Astrea Snail

I am setting up a 110 gallon tank with a corner overflow.
    My pump is a mag 12.
    My bulkheads are 1"
    I built a durso standpipe and am still getting gurgling sound.

Interesting enough is most of my noise is coming from the hose that goes from my bulkhead to my wet dry cap.

What am i doing wrong?
    Is my standpipe to tall/short?
    Do i have to much water in the overflow compartment?

Please help!!!
    Thanks ahead of time guys

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

My overflow did the same thing, it also made a "flushing" sound like a toilet. I found the cause was that I didn't have a ball valve on the PVC going from the overflow to my sump so the water was flushing faster than my pump was returning water to the DT. I put a ball valve on and restricted the flow to match the rate at which my return pumped into the DT and problem solved. I also took a prefilter and cut it into square pieces and put them in the overflow around the PVC and it eliminated the gurgling sound.

4. russki1313

russki1313 Astrea Snail

Does the hole on top have to be above water?
    How much water should be in the overflow compartment?
    Is it ok that i am using a flexible hose?

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Mine has a small 1/4 inch tube that goes through the hole at the top into the PVC (at the overflow). That acts as a siphon break... so I would assume you might need a tube in that hole coming out above the water.

6. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

From the first pic, your water level in the overflow box is too high. It shouldnt be going over the top of the horizontal pipe. Is your cap drilled?

Flex hosing should be fine on the drain as long as its not being kinked. There is tubing designed specifically for draining which will not kink on you.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Also just noticed from your third pic. your drain pipe looks like it has its ball valve not fully open. May be causing a back-up in your overflow box.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

All overflows make noise when they are fisrt setup. It takes a few days for the pipes to develop a "slime" coat and most of the noise should stop. Provided it is setup correctly.

11. James.F

James.F Flamingo Tongue

Ok, so bump. I've got the same problem with a new tank system I picked up on CL. The water was clearly draining faster than the pump was returning it, so the water level in the overflow was always right at the mouth of the pvc and was constantly gurgling because it wasn't fully submerged.

So I went to Lowe's, picked up some stuff, and added a gate valve to my drain tube. I've restricted drain flow rate by about 35% but it seems like a VERY fine balance. What if the net outlflow is off by even 5%? My sump could overflow overnight or if I'm away and my roommate doesn't pay enough attention.

Is this a problem with all sumps or is there some fail-safe?

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

you should never ever ever restrict your drainline with a ball valve or gate valve if it is a single drain tank. if its just a little bit off it could flood your dt.
    try messing with the air hole in the durso. the stock marineland megaflow kit i have with my tank was super loud, then i started drilling slightly bigger holes in the durso and i got to one size and it turned silent.