Why is my clown tilting body?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by yheartsp, Jun 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nea

Nea Flamingo Tongue

I have a maroon clown and he swims on his side and lays in his anemone all the time. I think it's normal, kinda like he's loving on the thing.

Most of the time he just lays on his side in the anemone and twitches.

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yep, it sounds like normal clown behavior to me. Nothing to be afraid of.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

+1 to the above posts. sounds like good old clown anemone love

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I see you have an Ehiem filter, but do you have a protein skimmer as well? Maroons grow to be large fish, so they produce enough waste to have a need for a skimmer. Besides, having an anemone means a need for high water quality as well. Right now, your maroon is most likely a male. When it becomes a female, it will go on a huge growth spurt like she has been eating steroids, and will become darker in color. Take a look at my album where my maroon was a male, and compare it to now as a female. She is also about 6" in length, as compared to 2 when I bought him.
    Oh and as far as temps, I would suggest leaving it at 77ºF for the anemone. Anemones use up a lot of oxygen in the water, and higher temps mean less dissolved oxygen in the wank.

6. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

yeap i do have a hang on protien skimmer, it's a DIY one but it removes waste just fine. always see thick brownish foam in it. however nitrates are at a constant 10ppm now, will try to reduce it using green macro algae ;D

yeap i have seen through your photo albums, and i'm hoping my maroon will become like yours too! 8)

1 person likes this.
  7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Ahhhh...the quest of all clowns is to become a girl. ::)

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I wouldn't worry about 10ppm on nitrates, that is perfectly normal in home tanks. Clams are good at removing nitrates as well, actually if clams are in a system, nitrates are pretty much required for their growth. But anyhow, adding a refugium will help lower those levels. That's great that your DIY skimmer is working well, K+ to you on that. Your maroon will morph soon enough, don't worry. It took mine about a year of being without another maroon to change. The only safe way to pair up maroons is to let one become female (without any other maroon tankmates) and then buy another that is signifcantly smaller. If you buy maroons together in hopes that they will decide the sex order, they will both stand their ground and battle to the death. They do not submit the way the Amphiprion genus do.

10. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

i see.. what levels are your nitrates ? clams seem to be hard to take care of. heard it needs to be handfed daily. may i ask what you feed marlin? xD

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

My nitrates are sitting at untraceable now. I have a refugium and the clam in my system. As long as you have adequate lighting and flow for the clam, it will be fine. Since nitrates generate in the DT and get sent down to the refugium, the clam will always have a source of nitrates before the fuge removes the rest of it. My clam gets fed phyto once a week now and is doing great. *knock on wood*
    I feed both maroons a mixture of small dry pellets (Spectrum) and frozen mysis shrimp.

12. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

maybe it sees its self in the glass and its a mirror image? just a guess... idk really.