Why is my clown tilting body?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by yheartsp, Jun 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

she is otherwise healthy, she's been doing it once a while for a few days now. i still can't figure out why. any possible explainations? :confused:

thanks !

ooh yeah, i'm getting my chiller today , i have a tank with corals and anemone, would keeping my tank at 26 celsius ( 78.8 F ) be optimum?

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I wouldn't jump too quickly to start treatment, but it could be a swim bladder problem.

4. yheartsp

oh man.. is that serious? she's been with me for one month plus, battled and won ich before with hyposalinity :-/

so i'll just wait for a few more days , if it continues, i'll treat for swim bladder disease?

i just read that swim bladder disease might be caused by overfeeding. and constipation. i'm feeding my fishes blended meaty food 2 times a day , saturation feeding, might that be the cause?

5. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

Do you have two clownfish? My male clown will sometimes turn on his side for a while and look like he is having a seizure for the female. I guess it's some kind of mating thing.

6. yheartsp

nope there's only one clown in the tank! which is why i find it weird.. i'm thinking he might be constipated. but my stupid country doesn't have much meds for this case

7. Swifty1189

Swifty1189 Bristle Worm

I believe it is a sign of dominance/ submission. My two do it all the time. Now it being that you only have one in your tank I'm not to sure cause when i had my single clown she never twitched until i added the other.

8. Click Here!

9. yheartsp

i'm only feeding him meaty stuff, blended brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, fish meat, shrimp meat. maybe there's not enough vege causing come constipation problems?? could that cause a tilting behaviour?

i'm thinking of meaty food in the morning, and formula 2 pellets in the evening to balance the diet..

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Clowns do very weird things. It's part of their social behavior. It is quite common to see clowns twitch, swim in weird positions, twitch some more, etc. Clown oddities are something one comes to expect. My clowns twitching or otherwise "dancing" with each other is a daily occurance.

Is the clown tilting a 24/7 thing? Meaning, is it always swimming that way? Or just sometimes, for brief periods of time?

Clowns twitching or swimming funny for just a few seconds at a time is all in the name of Romance...or Tyranny...whichever you prefer to think of :D I'm thinking it's probably just a courtship thing. My male clown swims sideways, upside down, and nose down vertically when he's in one of those "moods" around the female. If he gets lucky, she twitches back. Sometimes he gets the shaft, though.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Can you be a bit more specific? Is the clown constantly tilting the same way as it swims or is it kind of twitching or darting around. How is it swiming besides that? Does it seem stressed out?

12. yheartsp

there's only one maroon , one azure damsel and one humbug damsel in my tank. so the courting behaviour is out ;D
    nope she's not stressed out, breathing rate is steady. no dartings. she only does it ocassionally , and mostly when she is near her anemone . when she swims out for food she swims fine. magnificent actually. let me show you some pics

i would love to get a mate for her but sadly my tank is too small .. 3 fishes is enough..

Attached Files: