Why Is My Cheato Not Growing?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ManNurseReefer, Oct 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I have a 2.5 gallon fuge with a corallife two 9 watt bulb pc fixture which has two 9 watt 6700 k bulbs in it. Bulbs replaced three weeks ago. My cheato grew good for the first few months it was in my fuge but now it has basically stopped growing. My parameters are all very good and kept that way by a dosing pumps. Ca 440, Alk 9, Mag 1450, Phosphates always test 0, SG 1.025. I have a phosp reactor with phosban, protein skimmer, 29 gall dt, 10 gall sump, ato. All livestock in tank looks good. I did notice from pics on here that my cheato looks bigger than most others, larger diameter. It does not clump into a tight ball like everyone elses. Lately it has not been growing at all. I was thinking maybe not enough flow, lights may suck or my filtration is just removing too many nutrients from the water.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think you answered your own question, the tank is running too clean.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

+1. Try removing some of the chaeto, since you'll see growth when there's less of it competing for the nutrients.

5. ManNurseReefer

I'll try removing some to see if that helps. Are there different kinds of cheato? Just wondering because mine looks fatter than most of the stuff I've seen on here. It's about the same diameter as spaghetti.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yeah, I have thicker stuff too. About the size of angel hair pasta. I had even thinner stuff that did ball up easily, though. There's definitely different species.

Did you get it from Dingo?

7. ManNurseReefer

I got it from Aquatic Critter in Nashville. Had all kinds of good life in with it. It has never been bright green or tightly clumped up like other stuff I see. It does look healthy just won't grow. I put a small powerhead in my fuge to increase flow through it and I tumbled it a bit. We'll see if that helps.