Why is my aquarium water SOOOO green?! I can't see anything!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Water_Sprite, Dec 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Water_Sprite

Water_Sprite Plankton

I have a salt water aquarium that was once beautiful, thriving, and with crystal clear water. 2 months ago I was doing my regular water change. I did a little more then I should've. Since then my tank has turned into a devasting green colour. I can't see my fish. It looks like someone was making green koolaid in my tank! My salinity, Ph, nitrite, nitrate levels, and temp hasn't changed. All filters and skimmers have been cleaned and are in perfect working order. I've tried using water treatments, limiting my light, and just waiting around. I don't know what to do anymore. I've even dumped out all my water and replaced it with water from another perfectly clear salt water tank and 3 days later it's GREEEN!!!! What is it?! I've been told it's an explosion of a certain bacteria or algae. How can I fix it. It's so heartbreaking staring into a tank of green goop. I miss seeing my fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

wow....thats a new one to me. Hopefully the guro's will have some ideas...

photos please!!!!!

and best of luck to you...

Scoffer

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!!!

What you have is a phytoplankton bloom. The quickest way to get rid of it is to borrow or buy a UV Sterilizer.

The next best way is stop ALL light from entering the tank for numerous days. You can't even let ambient light enter the tank so tape black construction paper, carboard, etc to all of the glass surfaces and do water changes daily with a zero phosphorus salt mix and ro/di water.

No matter how you solve this problem, you need to figure out the fertilizer for the bloom. Do you have excessive phosphates or nitrates from overfeeding, not skimming enough, etc? Do you use RO/DI water? If you use crushed coral for substrate, do you vacuum it enough?

Alternatively, start selling your phytoplankton and use the money to set up a new tank. (just kidding)

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For those who've never seen a phyto bloom before, here's one.

[​IMG]

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Are you using tap or RODI water? Did you check phosphates? Something is feeding it.

Adding your tank specifics in you signature will help us too.

7. dark126

dark126 Astrea Snail

hahahaha miss seeing yore fish well first of all you have to stop the light at all becuse the light first reson ,second reson iam sure youre filter system is small or you not clean the dirt from it . put hi quality cotton in to your filter chane 30% of water make sure water tap water what you use not contain phosphat, use canster filter with much cotton dont use spong make sure your aquarium having enough air water is moving in circulation motion and temperature not more than 30C youre filter shoul filter the aquarim 8-10 time from volume at lest 5 time if its fish tank only

8. Click Here!

9. Water_Sprite

Water_Sprite Plankton

inwall75-
    I taped up the glass, bought a uv light and the change was astonishing. In 5 days my water was crystal clear. Clarity that I never thought possible. Thank-you so much for your help. I can finally see my babies again. :)

Now... whats ro/di water?

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

reverse osmosis de-ionized

11. Salty Marine

Salty Marine Astrea Snail

you solved your problem but i thought I should mention that I had an outbreak of the same thing when my calcium dosing got to frequent/high and I had to cut back lighting and dosing.

12. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

In addition to clearing up that algae it will kill tons of harmful bacteria as long as you have the proper flow running through it.