Why is it moving?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by brannock_16, Feb 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

I just recently bought a very healthy looking Squasmosa clam from my LFS. It is about 3-4 in in length and had excellent mantle extension with no pyramid snails that I could visibly see. At the LFS it was on the sand bed with a single MH bulb for lighting (unsure of wattage).

Once I got it home I properly acclimated the clam with floating it to water temp, then drip method for about an hour. Once this was done, I placed the clam in my DT (without subjecting the clam to air, I placed it in the tank). I placed it on the sand bed. I currently have the Current Nova Extreme Pro 48 in model with 6 bulbs. All of the bulbs except for the actinics have been upgraded to 2 12000K bulbs and one 15000K bulb.

In the last couple of days I have noticed that the clam is rotating itself on the sand bed. I have no direct flow going towards the clam and am unsure of why it is trying to move. What should I do? What does this mean for the clam?

My params are stable:

temp 78-79
    ph 8.0-8.2
    calcium 460
    alk 9-10
    nitrates 0
    nitrites 0

I also have a huge LTA on the sand bed that has not moved since being in the tank and is growing very fast. I also have a ton of SPS, LPS, and Softies that are showing amazing polyp extension and growth, so I do not think that it is a water quality issue.

2. Click Here!

3. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

The clam will move to the position it likes best, just let it be, only thing you need to do is if it falls over to pick it back up again.

4. brannock_16

So the only thing I should do is make sure the mantle is facing upwards towards the lighting?

Do you believe that my lighting is adequate to keep a Squasmosa? I know a Crocea or Maxima requires more lighting but was told I could maintain a Squasmosa or Dersea with my lighting by the LFS.

5. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

how deep is your tank?

6. brannock_16

I believe the dimensions are 60 L x 28 T x 18 W. I am not at my house now, but those sound correct to me. I may be off an inch or less on T and W but those are fairly close.

7. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

With the light you are running i would try and place the clam atleast 1/2 way up... In the long run they really do best under halides

8. Click Here!

9. clevebill

clevebill Plankton

sound like your tank is to deep for a clam with t-5 i wouldnt go no more than 24" and that would be with a good fixture like a tex.i have a dersa clam under t-5 but the tank is only 16" deep.