Why is everyone selling their AI sols?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by EthanKyle, Jul 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I am that way and I am not an LED fanboy! In my 225g I have changed lighting many times. I have never4 used the same lighting for more than 2 years straight. The following is the different combinations that I have had in order over the last 9 years.

4- 250w DE
    3 - 250w DE & 2 - 250w SE (so far I like the results from this the best)
    3 - 250w SE & 4 80w T5
    3 - 400w SE & 4 80w T5
    3 - 400w SE
    3 - 400w SE & 2 - 100w LED

Logevity of a fixture is the last thing on my mind as I won't have it long enough.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

People are selling their AI's because AI's don't grow or sustain corals...Radions do! Ha! You can't deny the success people have with MH. Some have tremendous success with LED as well. But parameters and maintenance play a key role in peoples success, regardless of the lighting source. I have used all three I listed, and have had my best results from my Radion, but I couple that with new knowledge and experience, as this is the current lighting I use, and the others were earlier in my experience. I am selling my Radion because my new car is taking the fair share of my budget...and my new build will require quite a few Radions for my SPS tank. I have run 5 different fixtures in 2.5 years on my current setup. Longevity and power bill cost is not in my view either. :)

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I am a car salesman!!

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm actually selling one of my AI's. I'm selling it because I don't need it. I get enough light from the others I have to grow my corals happily. You can see pictures of my corals elsewhere on this site. They are growing and doing well. I don't know whether the growth is as fast as other lights, but in the long term I don't care. If they're growing, colorful and happy, I love my lights.

As for watts beng watts, they sure are. Photons are in fact also photons, those these have varying wavelengths clearly. The relevant question is how many photons of which wavelengths arrive in any given area of surface. This is a variable and different lights are different in this regard. Any light producing heat is less than 100% efficient and therefore wasting energy. All lights do. The hotter they get, the more energy wasted. A less efficient light generally costs more to operate. The equality of a unit of measure to itself is irrelevant to the calculation.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Can I get an A-men!

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Not to pick nits Dingo, but your earlier statement to the effect it takes the same number of watts to get the equivalent amount of light is in complete contradiction with my comment. I have AI Sols and it really doesn't for well known empirically testable reasons.

As a matter of fact, I'm selling my AI Sol because I overestimated my need. That hardly fits the "they're bad" theme, does it?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

MH lighting is superior in spectrum that it doesn't have while being more efficient and it does water changes on it's own. I won't upgrade to new technology because I am scared

10. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Dont be scared, Jump in head first :p

11. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Watts are watts and photons are photons. Both statements are true, however, the benefit of LEDs is less watts, and more photons. You can replicate any spectrum that mh has, and then some. The question boils down to opinion, are you an mh guy, or and LED guy, or both?