Why is everyone selling their AI sols?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by EthanKyle, Jul 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

a watt is a watt...

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Really? Please Please show me something to back up what you are saying

1 person likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

watt= 1 kg*m^2/s^3

Also for your reference: The watt (*/ˈwɒt/ wot; symbol: W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI), named after the Scottish engineer James Watt (1736–1819). The unit, defined as one joule per second, measures the rate of energy conversion or transfer. (Watt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Additionally one of great importance to this conversation at hand would be: In terms of electromagnetism, one watt is the rate at which work is done when one ampere (A) of current flows through an electrical potential difference of one volt (V).
    Thus stating that a watt cost the same no matter what the usage... In our case between a halide or a light emitting diode. Now to also bring in some examples, my 125g tank is currently lit with 250w of halide. To replace this lighting it would take two radions @ 120w each = 240w. Therefore since a watt is a watt, my electrical bill would be roughly the exact same after switching. The only difference from switching would be a loss of color spectrum.

This is my last reply to this thread. I really hate to see how far we have de-railed this conversation now.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Please get this thread back on track and keep it there, thank you.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Epic statement! I might also add that a photon is a photon. Both statements are fact yet seem to be disputed in our daily LED, T5 and MH discussion.

Now back on topic!
    The question was asked as to why people are selling they AI units. I have great explainations.

1. Many people argue about the savings derived from the energy savings of LED. The fact is few people last more than a couple years in this hobby. End result, equipment sell-off.

2. Many that do last more than a couple years upgrade equipment every couple years. I find that this fact is hard to comprehend as many people are in denial. They always seem to think that they will be running those LEDs for 10 years so that they can get their money's worth.

3. As you become more and more advanced in this hobby you will always seek new advancements to enhance performance and results. With LED, we see year after year the improvements in performance and quality of the light. Early adopters will continue to upgrade to insure they are getting ideal results.

To me the bottom line is that almost all of the LED lights on the market for the last few years will grow corals. That means they are also good for long term health. Corals just don't grow under light that is not good for long term health! The multi colored LED fixtures are not looking for long term health, they already figured that on out. The quest out there now is to provide the desired spectrums that excite the color pigments producing the killer coloration that we all seek.

I also cringe when I see people criticizing AI and Ecotech for not including 420nm with their LED choices. Most all of these companies are chasing the performance of the most popular MH for coloration. That bulb is the 400w Radium MH. Sorry to tell you all but that bulb has little if any 420nm in it's spectrum. It is however very heavy in the blue range.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Gcarroll, I agree with the majority of your statement, but the peak at 410 I believe is important, especially when you see there are some proteins that require this wavelength range Fluorochromes

Unfortunately the royal blues do not drop into this range. Is is a deal breaker, no way, but I would like it regardless.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Some, not all. I feel that ton's of users running Radiums have shown that maybe this spectrum is optional, and not a necessity. Keep in mind that I am not saying 400nm - 420nm it's not beneficial, only that many have proved successful without! With that in mind, I don't feel it is a deal breaker.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's far from without it. While not a peak, it starts ramping up at 350 and is much higher in the 400-430 range than leds by a large margin.

[​IMG]

The AI cree mix.
    [​IMG]

Now, the fact that AIs don't have hardly any in teh sub 430 range and I have personally grown lots of pretty corals means, principally you are right. You don't HAVE to have 420nm range to have healthy corals. But my corals sure have shown a heck of an increase in coloration since adding some light in this range. I think your list is dead on, the people who are LED fanboys (myself included) are going to jump to the next new thing, and that next new thing is out or coming out.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Grim...you sound like a car salesman. This one has great features, but the 2013 is the tits! ;)

1 person likes this.