Why have coral gotten so expensive?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Doratus, Oct 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

A couple years ago I broke down my 40b when I lost my home and had to move into a rental. I was allowed a 5 gallon pico which I stocked using whatever I could from the 40b. It's been a couple years since I've looked at the prices of coral, and it seems like there has been a dramatic increase. Is this true or is my memory not serving me?

I suspect there are a couple of things at play here. The business of selling coral is relatively new, and I think that in the beginning we saw a lot of hobbyists attempting to start businesses, because it's what they liked to do. Some wanted to help their fellow reefers more than they wanted to make huge profits, and those businesses either raised prices to stay alive, or they failed. Now it seems like we are getting to that natural point in all new industries where we see more serious businesses who rightfully understand that they need to spend large amounts of capital to maintain the proper level of quality and service.

It's great for the hobby, I suppose, but it's kind of a bummer to be coming back into the hobby and see zoas going for around $15 per polyp on the low end. (for a decent variety)

What are your thoughts?

Either way, it's good to be back!

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Well the US dollar loses a little bit of value every year so that might also play an effect.

I'm sure most of it just comes down to who you're buying from, and what the vendors charge for it. If it's costing more to pay divers to collect, then obviously they'll have to charge retailers more, which means retailers have to charge more.

I guess my thoughts are that it is from a couple different reasons stacking together.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Prices have been what they are since I entered the hobby 5 years ago. The only outrageous prices I see are from corals with lineages, and that's easy to understand why. I would also guess that demand goes up every year and supply is likely dwindling, either by law or access. These aquaculture pieces require investment.

5. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Freight plays a very large role as well. Try sending freight from around the world express and see what it costs. A basic 6 x 6 box NY to CA sent next day air will run $40 if not more and an insulated box is $10. It all plays a role in the costs. I do agree that there are places that sell corals for very high dollars though.

6. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I've noticed geography to play a significant role as well! I live in Kansas and you can imagine the effort it takes to ship corals in a safe and healthy manner. While on the coasts I have checked out a variety of stores and the main thing I have noticed is Zoas. On the coasts they seem to be half the price as in Kansas for desirable varieties.

7. Paul B

Paul B Astrea Snail

Corals and fish sell for pennies. I have gone to places where fish are collected and they are practically free. Some tropical fish are sold by the pound for food on poor Islands. I have seen lookdowns, angelfish and moray eels for 50 cents a pound in The Caribbean. You are paying the collector, shipper, wholesaler and retailer, but the shipping is the biggest part of the deal by far.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back to the hobby! I don't see a huge increase in prices of coral overall over the past few years but in terms of zoas - there are certain varieties that command a huge price - also some specific acros command a pretty good price as well. Your standard LPS, nems, and softies have stayed about the same.

DSC reef likes this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have to agree. I got out of the hobby in 2008 and I have noticed that the price I paid for full coral pieces is what I'm paying for frags now.

I remember paying $30 for a rock full of ricordia and now its about $20- $30 a head. Same with zoanthids, a 4 polyp frag costs around $20 and up.

I assumed it was because I'm in Canada. I know here the hobby has plummeted, which could account for the rise in price. The economy is bad in most places so you have less ppl buying therefore the costs go up.

11. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Hey where are you at in Canada?

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Doratus, long time no see.

I do not think things have gotten much more expensive than the rate of inflation.

Are there more designer corals and vendors, oh yeah and they charge whatever the hobby is willing to pay big time.

I just wait until I see a piece I want going for a decent price and snap it up. I'll probably wait along time for a Walt Disney Frag. But Orange Passion has come down in price recently (Acropora).

DSC reef likes this.