Why does PE mysis smell?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by i3oosted, Oct 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

I've used a bunch of other brands of mysis and I usually use Hikari.

Hikari is odorless, and defrosts clean. PE smells like my fishing bait, and clouds the defrost water(which I toss).

I thought PE was the best mysis you can buy, are these good indicators of good food?

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I always use Hikari,I have often thought it was strange that the defrost water was considered to be so bad as mine appears to be pretty clean.

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If it smells, it likely has been thawed/refrozen, and was thawed for awhile. I'd toss it.

As far as "the best"...it's an entirely different species. In fact, it's a FW species of mysis, while Hikari is not.

Whatever brand you use, you should always rinse the thawed mysis prior to feeding it out.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It smells because its shrimp. Its always gonna smell. The protien content in the PE mysis is what sold me. Like greg said, always thaw and toss the old water.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hikari use a cleansing process. PE is bagged at the source. That is the difference.

All of Hikari frozen is done this way. That is what 'Bio-Pure" is.

"Hikari's 3 Step Sterilization process assures unequalled product quality. Free of parasites, harmful bacteria and foul odor, Bio-Pure frozen foods are another example of Hikari's product quality commitment."

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Thaw and rinse????? I've always just held the cube in front of a power head and let it slowly blow across the tank as it thaws in there?

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

There's a lot of nutrients in the water there packed in. I only rinse the mysis cubes. Some cubes aren't meant to be rinsed though. As far as mysis goes I don't care what companys say or write, I'll always rinse.

1 person likes this.
  10. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

The shrimp I eat for dinner doesn't have a foul odor, but it does have an odor. Hikari doesn't have an odor.

Isn't the protein content up for debate since PE calculates a dry % and everyone else a wet %?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be using PE again, not for the price they are asking.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The protein content of PE is basically the same as Hikari. Yes, PE used the wrong conversion... the rest of the planet used dry weight.

If you want to know the protein content of PE, look at Mysis-Feast.

If you are really concerned about the "nutrients" in the water they are packed in, read this: Aquarium Chemistry: Phosphate And Math: Yes You Need To Understand Both — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Also note the water they use is RODI in most cases, if any is used at all. I'm rather familiar with all their processes, its not marketing hype.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Very good read,thanks for the link.