Why Does My Rose BTA Keep Splitting?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by logic-pending, Jan 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

4 t5s is plenty of light for the nem. The light doesnt appear to cover his entire tank. I would move the light so the nem is getting direct light. 40ppm for a rbta is pretty high. Make sure your water is decent that your using for topoffs and water changes. some tap contains high levels of nitrates.

2. Click Here!

3. logic-pending

logic-pending Astrea Snail

What could be causing the stress? Besides the light not being positioned so it directly shines on them.

My lights are off at the moment, I'll see later if it's slimey and/or bubbly looking.

My tank was initially set-up in mid-July as a 5-gallon, but I upgraded it to the current one (transferred live rock over) on October 3rd. So it's about, 3 months+ ?

Okay, once a week it is then. And I'll move the light to the left too, thanks.

I don't have a phosphate test kit with me, I'll get one asap and check.

Well, although it's 19 gallons, my tank is 2.5 feet long, so that should be enough for the tang to swim around, at least for now?

When it grows too big, I'll give it to my friend (he has a 180G). :)

Yeah, there aren't any 2.5' light fixtures available, so I just settled with a 2' :(

I use distilled water for top-offs (every day) and water changes (every 2 weeks), so it's definitely not the water.

And I'm also not sure if the test kits are faulty? One is saying 0.5, and the other, 40. That's a REALLY big difference :confused:

I'm using one sachet of Purigen too, by the way.

4. logic-pending

Hey so I moved the light so they're directly above the anemones, but they're moving away from the light!

What should I do?

5. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I guess im confused, but if the nem is bleaching, wouldn't that mean theres too much light?
    I guess when I think bleaching I just think that there is too much light, not that there isn't enough.

6. logic-pending

Well, from what I've read so far, if an anemone starts bleaching after you take it home from the LFS, it's probably because it's not used to the change in lighting.

I also read that it'll regain it's colour gradually with regular feeding and good water conditions. But so far my anemone (now 3) hasn't recovered yet. :-/

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well your anemone is not your only problem here. even though your tank is 2.5 feet long, 19g is still WAY to small for a yellow tang even a juvenile.

the very least they need is 4feet. ( i think is a 75g) you might get away with it in a 55g but not for long
    ill recommend giving it to your friend who has a 180g. ASAP.

as for the anemone, well they pretty much summed everything up. ( needs more light than that). by the way.. an important thing for us to know is....how old is your tank?

8. Click Here!

9. logic-pending

Thanks for your concern about the tang, I'll relocate it soon :)

If light is really the only issue, the anemones could've just positioned themselves nearer to the light at their own will, no?

My tank was initially set-up in mid July as a 5-gallon, but I upgraded it to the current one (transferred live rock, fish and corals over) on October 3rd. So it's about 3 months plus.But if you include the 5-gallon, it's been 6 months.

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

hmmm i dont understand why everyone is saying they need more light? IMO x4 T5s on a 2.5ft tank is more then enough for an anemone. If anything is stressing them out it will be your nitrates. Anemones need pristine water conditions. I dont think i have seen any mention of what your phosphates are like either......

11. logic-pending

I don't get why my nitrates are so high though, I do a 2.1-gallon (8 litres) water change every 2 weeks with distilled water.

In the mornings I feed chopped seaweed (For my tang) and pellets, and in the evenings I alternate between flakes and mysis/brine.

I'm also using a sachet of Purigen, and I plant chaeto in my modified Aquaclear 110 filter.

:confused:

I don't have a phosphate test kit, will bring a water sample to the LFS for testing asap.

Perhaps one of my nitrate test kits is faulty? Salifert gives a reading of 0.5, API a reading of 40.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I was not suggesting that he needs more light, his lighting is fine. My observation was that, since his light does not cover the tank completely, the left side of the tank(were the BTA are) is not getting enough light from his lighting unit. The lighting and the fact that he has some No3 issues, could be the cause of his BTA dilemma.

BTW Logic-Pending, I think that your over feeding, which could be the cause of your No3 problem. I only feed 2 frozen cubes daily and I have 12 fish. 2 of those 12 fish are Tangs.

luna