Why Does My Rose BTA Keep Splitting?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by logic-pending, Jan 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. logic-pending

logic-pending Astrea Snail

Hello,

I got my Rose BTA last year in October, and about a month later, it split into 2. I'd been feeding it every other day prior to the split.

After the split, I've cut down the feeding to twice a week, alternating between 1cm wide cuts of prawns and squids, hoping for them to regain their colour (bleached after I brought it home) and prevent another split.

This morning, I found 3 anemones in my tank. :(

What could have caused it to split again?

Before the second split, both halves of the anemone moved around the same rocks every few days, they can't seem to find a permanent spot to stay.

Tank setup: 30" x 12" x 12"/19 gallons

Lights: 4x24 w T5 HO - 2 x ati aquablue, 1x ati blue plus, 1 x giesemann pure actinic

Fish:
    1 Yellowtail Damselfish
    1 Six Line Wrasse
    1 Bicolour Blenny
    1 Tomato Clownfish
    1 Yellow Tang

Inverts:
    3 Rose BTAs
    2 Top Shell Snails
    no shrimps (I've had 3, they all died mysteriously)

Parameters:Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0.5 (salifert test kit)/40 (API test kit) :eek:, pH 8.0-8.5, temperature 26.7C, salinity ±1.026.

Is there something wrong with my nitrate test kits? Salifert gives me a reading of 0.5, while API says I have 40ppm nitrates! :-X

I have an Aquaclear 110 that doubles up as a refugium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1. That looks like a Condy not a Rose BTA.
    2. The splitting is a good sign b/c you are feeding it every other day(was) and your tank condition is awesome. This is a blessing in disguise b/c now you can sell them.

Nice looking tank btw.

luna

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I concur that your anemone appears to be a condy – does that anemone get really small and then crazy big….that’s a condy.

Excessive feeding gives them the energy to split and as Luna mentioned a healthy tank is required, so good job !

You do appear to have something sprouting up on your sand – is that a diatom bloom or cyano? Keep an eye on whatever that is and enjoy your new pets.

Also good to note, Condy’s move around a lot and they are venomous and can/will sting anything it can – you should keep an eye on where they settle. Good luck.

5. logic-pending

logic-pending Astrea Snail

I'm sure it's a Rose BTA, here's a picture of how it looked like when I first got it:

[​IMG]

Oh, that would be a diatom bloom, the cyano bloom ended 2 months ago or so. What can I do to get rid of it?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

That pic is of an Rose BTA, but not the first pic from your first post.

luna

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm going to go against everyone else and say that it is in fact a rose bta. A bleached one. It is probably splitting (and bleached) because it's stressed out.

Also, your "diatoms" look like they may be dinoflagellates. Is the "algae" slimey and/or bubbly looking?

How long has this tank been set up for?

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats a big possiblity b/c now that I look at his first post, his bta is not getting enough light and he has somewhere between 5 and 40ppm of No3.

luna

10. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Yea those are bleaching - from the look of your last pic you don't have enough lighting over the nem's IMO and even if you are feeding often, they still need proper light and that's probably why they are changing color and splitting. That is also probably the reason they are moving around so much as well.

Also feed once a week - no need to feed anymore than that IMO.

Not sure about the diatoms/cyano either - may want to look into what is causing your algae bloom (phosphates??). There may be something else going on that your not aware of.

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

OK, I'll say it . . . any particular reason you have a tang in a 19 gallon tank?

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

WOW - didn't even notice that!!! Good call!! Get that Tang outta there!