Why does my protien skimmer give off so many bubbles in the tank?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by cnunez3024, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cnunez3024

cnunez3024 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

For some apparent reason my protein skimmer shoots a million tiny bubbles in my tank is this normal or is my skimmer no good?

SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmerby Aquarium Systems - AquaCave

this link takes you to a website where it shows my exact skimmer.
    Please if anyone with this skimmer has this problem please help

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

How long has it been running? I know some skimmers require a break in period of up to a couple weeks. Until they break in microbubbles are expected. One fix is to put some sort of filter material (like a filter sock) on the output to help diffuse the bubbles.

4. cnunez3024

i've had it on for about 3 days non-stop. ive had this protein skimmer for about 1 year now. ill try putting the sock to see if it makes a difference :)

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I have the same skimmer. It took some time (about a week or so) to break in and adjust. I've noticed the more closed you have the air inlet the more bubbles you get in the tank.

6. cnunez3024

the more i open up the air inlet the actual pump that sucks up the water starts to let out bubbles also. so i dunno if its that my pump is bad or what its driving me insane because the tank has alot of bubbles

7. cnunez3024

i also just cleaned the collection cup today and the bubbles started today. could a clean collection cup make the pump bubble more?

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

try to open it all the way and then slowly close it until you hear the sound of a clogged drain opening...That's the bubble coming out of the J tube. Once you do that open it just a hair and let it sit for a bit?

Also, make sure that venturi piece is nice and tight in the pump inlet and that the tubing is snug.

10. cnunez3024

kk let me try it out right now =)

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I wouldn't worry about it too much for a couple weeks. This is pretty common with a new skimmer. Adjust it to where you want it and let it sit for 2-3 weeks. If it is bothering you then add the filter sock and check it every couple of days.