Why does my coralline algae not grow?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kevin3884, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I have what is mostly a 125G FOWLR...i notice people saying that their coralline grows "fast"...my tank has been up for about 6 months..i have over 200lbs of live rock, i add purple up and idodide (drop) everyday and stronium & molybdenum every 4 days, but my coralline just doesnt grow..is it because my tank is so big and still newer? Please let me know :-/

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It is most likely because your tank is still newer. What are your water params at?

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

be careful witht he purple up and adding a bunch of crap to your tank. Iodine is deadly to fish in larger amounts so if you aren't testing for it, stop using it. as far as your coraline is concerned, My 150 has been up for 6 months, was set up from 3 other systems I had, and I can't get coraline to grow worth a darn on my glass. My rock is covered and does fine as well as my powerheads. I have a calcium reactor running, all my parms are perfect and still can't get any. it's just one of those things.

5. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Phosphates and nitrates will prevent coraline from growing. Check those, and also make sure you alk, ca, and mag levels are where they are supposed to be (don't OD). With those in the green you'll get mad at scraping the coraline off everything weekly :) Another thing I've found to be helpful in my tank, is to scrap a rock with coraline infront of a power head to make it spread over more in the tank. It basically releases the spores that are needed to grow.

P.S. Make sure that your testing for everything you put into the tank (iodine for example is replaced with water changes) to prevent problems.

6. Kevin3884

all my params are good...hmm thanks for the tip with the iodide...just must be one of those things like you said...::sigh:: hopefully it will take off sooner or later..im sure once i get some better lighting it may help in the process.

1 person likes this.
  7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

you could try seeding it with rock from another tank that has coralline on it, also your calcium 400 ppm, alk 11, and mag 3100 must be correct for coralline to grow. It will take time to grow will not happen over night. Hope this helps, also I would not use that purple up it's just trash IMO

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Yeh...i seeded with rocks that had coralline..it didnt die..but it really hasnt spread either...i found a heck of a deal on craigslist for over 100lbs fiji and tonga mixed LR for $100..and when i got to the kids house it was LOADED with coralline so def didnt pass it up! I need to get more tests it seems..lol Its so fun learning new stuff about my "Litte World" in my living room :) How does everyone else feel about purple up? Its quite expensive so if it doesnt work i'd rather buy something that will..

10. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

I have used it with success, it does raise the levels you need to grow coraline algae. Personally I don't care for it, but honestly its just a personal preference. I like using good salt that already has the elements in it and make frequent changes. I personally don't like additives, if my tank needs something on a continual basis (calcium for example) I'd add something like a reactor that can do the job w/o me interfering all the time.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

mag at 3100?????? little high maybe??

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The key to all additives such as purple up is to be able to test for everything your adding. If you cant test for it you cant be sure your adding enough or even worse adding more than your tank can consume and slowly making your water a dangerous place to live.