Why do some of my corals revert to bown?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Onjinsan, Mar 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

Since I've had my tank, I've purchased an green open brain and a white hairy mushroom with pink tips. Both had begun to turn brown. THe open brain eats well (cyclopeze, mysis shrimp, Rod's food) and only recently the mushroom has begun to accept cyclopeze.

If I understand correctly this is a sign that the xoanthela are taking over as the primary food source? Is there anyway to get them back to original color?

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It may have something to do with your lighting, what type of lighting do you have and what size tank?

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

You have the right lighting. Where are they placed and what water params do you have? What is the flow like. Cyclopeze is too small for a open brain they need mysis and brine(meatier foods).

5. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

30 gal tank, 50 lb live sand, 30 lb live rock
    250 W 18000K metal halide, AquaC Remora

I gradually moved it from bottom of tank to the upper 1/3. It started with cyclopeze but then graduated to mysis. Seems all my corals start with really small food then move up in size. THe mushrooms didn't like anything for about the first month, only recently accept small foods.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

brown must be the zooxanthaila color that is best suited for your tank. in my 36 gal everything turns green. my bulb temp is 10k mh so that might have somthing to do with it. Also white in corals sometimes means it is sick or had bad transport.

7. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

I thought the white was unusual, the LFS had 5 more of them in his display tank (not for sale). I have been back many times and see his are still white with pink tips and are thriving, now twice their original size.

Thanks for the bulb temp tip, I will check more into this.

8. Click Here!

9. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

don't get me wrong some things do stay white. But it is unusual. are all paramites in line.

10. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

Yeah 10, that is what I meant, it was unusual.. not contradicting your information that white usually = bad health.

Parameters are and have been at acceptable levels, for a while I did have low Mg and Ca but have since corrected that. Only thing I haven't tested for is Iodine.

I read up a bit on the lighting temps in one of the stickies. Read there that it can be upwards of 3 months for corals to adjust also. Will read more before bulbs need replacing.

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well hope all goes well