Why Do Bubble Anemones Change from Bubbles to None?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dumbderk, Feb 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Why is it that Bubble Anemones lose their bubble shape in aquariums and change from a bubbled state to the skinny tentacles? I am not sure, but tell me if I am in the ball park, could it be because it is trying to get a larger surface area for more sunlight, or is it trying to stretch out its membrane to make it more permeable to the elements in our tanks to either take in nutrients or stabilize itself between it and our tank water?

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

ok from what i have heard, when they change shape its not a good thing..i know it seems like all of them do, but an old man at my country club has had a bta for over 10 years and has split tons of times and his are huge and they still have the bubbles like when they are small..ill get a pic the next time im over there..

i read about the changing of bubbles is bad from google, again this is just something i have seen on another forum, dont remember much about it..but it seems like alot of them i see do lose their bubbles, and other times i have seen some that havent lost them and size of the nems didnt matter either

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0KmYDA&usg=AFQjCNH_W-cOqN92UgZFeAkKZMpt_KN-KQ

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477453

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0KmYDA&usg=AFQjCNEHH7aIHlpafQ4FRqMHLW4ep5680A

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Speculation as to why one BTA has bubble tips is interesting. I have seem many suggesting reasons from lighting, to feeding, to presence of a clown fish. None of these theories has proved them self valid to me. I have had healthy BTA's sitting right next to each to other, one with the tips one without.

[​IMG]

In a couple hours the BTA on top had the bubble tips and the one pictured with the tips did not so go figure.

CuseCorals84 likes this.
  5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Just my personal theory, but it may be a response, based on what my BTA did, to stress. My BTA had almond type tips, a bit inflated but bubbles. Whenever I did a water change it would really buuble up for the next few days, then go back to normal again.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

As long as the coloration is healthy and it is open most of the time, gennerally looking healthy and not wandering it;s fine.

from wetewebmedia:

BTAnemRMF

"The issue of most note to aquarists is "bubbliness" of this species tentacular ends. Loss of "bubbles" has been speculated to be due to insufficient light, current, feeding, presence of host fish/es, reaction to competitive influence/s... At this moment "the jury is still out" on this issue. The degree of bubbled-ended-ness does seem to be positively correlated with more current, less feeding, the presence of symbionts and other Cnidarians though. The bubbliness is evidently not a matter of life/death, good/bad... as specimens of both can/do well, and they do change back/forth at times from no apparent provocation. "

7. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well this was going to be my exact question I was going to post. So I figure it's better to just bump this to the top and see if anyone else has any input.

Purchased my BTA about 4 weeks ago. Shipped to me with bubble tips and now it looks like a LTA. coloration is still the same and the size has seemed to grow. It hasn't moved from the bottom of the tank since it attached it's foot.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have heard tons of theories about this, but i find it seems when first introduced a nem usually has bubbly tips, then over the course of a few months loses them. there is really no answer and it can be thriving with or without tips.

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Ctually scratch what I said before, I have a new one that always has bubbles. My params are perfect and the bubbles are 3/4 way down and small. Probably just depends on an individual.

11. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

so the consensus is; we don't have a damn clue. ;D

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

haha perty much