Why did my Turbo Snail die?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Evan127, Oct 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

I have a 30 gallon tank with a clownfish, anemone, firefish, blue chromis, and a scarlet cleaner shrimp. My water parameters (excluding calcium, phosphate, magnesium) are checked every 3 days and have been fine for weeks. All the other inhabitants are healthy, happy and growing. It was a big turbo snail, so did he maybe die of age? I had him for 6 months or so.

Here is why I am confused:
    -My water parameters are checked and have been in the green
    -Plenty of algae for him to eat as well as copepods (don't know if he eats those though)
    -Other fish and inverts are, and have been, fine for 8+ months.

Any idea? :S

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

did he fall off the glass and couldnt get up

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

There are a ton of things that could have caused the turbo snail to die, but It is most likely that it was just it's time. I'm not sure of what a turbo snails lifespan is but if all water parameters where good and it had been in your tank for 6 months I'd go with old age

J

5. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Added anything new the tank recently or dosed any kind of algae killer?

EDIT: Have any hermit crabs?
    Jack

6. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

No dosing and the most recent addition was the scarlet cleaner shrimp, but they were together for about a month.

He did fall off the glass from time to time, but no more that 8 hours at a time if that. As soon as I noticed he fell I put him back up right.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I have the same problem, but I got 2 this past Saturday, the one who died is very large. My parameters are perfect. He was high up on the glass lastnight now he has been in the same spot all day... Not moving or anything the other snail is cuising around having a feast... I don't get it..

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Nanoman if the snails still hanging on the glass it's def not dead :) just cause it's not moving doesn't mean it's dead.