why did my fish jumped out?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by helpme, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

when i woke up this morning, i found my african clownfish on the floor :( how saddening. does anyone knows why it jumped out? or maybe my water level is too high, i guess? should i put a cover over my 2 feet tank?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

You can try a thin netting. Was there any bullying going on? What are your parameters like? This could have stressed out the poor little guy. Sorry for your loss.

4. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

stress usually causes fish to jump, could be improper acclimation, could really be anything sorry for your loss, DO NOT put glass tops on your tank

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Fish jump largely because of stress as godbert said, which could result from a large number of circumstances such as being bullied, water parameters, being new, predator etc.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Did you add a new fish recently? Our pinkbar goby took the skydive onto the carpet after we added our Algae Blenny. The blenny is so hyper, he doesn't sleep. So we think he must have spooked the goby in the middle of the night. My mom works right by the tank, so it most likely didn't happen in the daytime.

Sorry for the loss :(

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

One of my Osc clowns jumped. Right in front of me. I have two, the bigger one use to harass the smaller one and the smaller one would do fancy underwater acrobatics to avoid it. This time that fancy acrobatic was done in the air because they were near the surface and it just happened to come down outside of tank.

I wouldn't say my case was jumping more than it was bad aiming. I was able to put him back in without any issues other than a wet spot on my wood floor ;)

Hasn't happened since... (watch, I'll get home and find it on the floor again just for saying this... hope not, knock on wood)

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yeah clownfish are kind of "dim" in the head...at least that's been my experience with them. They give in to peer pressure quite easily as well. :) Ah the social life of a saltwater tank.