why cant i grow algae? :o

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trapstar991, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

its a new tank yes but majority of the live rock was from a established tank and the other 50 pounds was precured my green coraline has "bleached" to a faded tan on my filter tubes and im not growing a spec of algae two weeks later? any ideas
    all numbers in tank are perfectly fine and i should have more algae growth if anything im using a reef salt mix so my coraline should be sky rocketing

*its a new sand bed,100% water change and the new rock all coraline on the rock has stayed only the filter tubes have "bleached"

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Are all of your tank params the same as the old? I'm sure coralline needs a bit of aclimating time

Mine did not start to grow for a month after I transfered tanks and this rock was covered in it

4. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

It took 6 moth for me to get my coralline algae to start growing and now it's all over my plastic parts and tank walls. So just be patient :)

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I added dead rock to mine and its been two months or so, but still those rocks are out of the place looking. They have tiny spots of purple coralline algae here and there. All im doing is keep the parameter stable, and be patient...

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Lighting change? Coraline will often bleach with increased light.

7. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

no actually decreased light i threw on a old coralife t5 no 2 bulb setting i put my old t5 ho back on today