Why brittle starfish, why?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ingtar_shinowa, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

so i got a little brittle the other day acclimated it, tossit in the tank, and then he crawledinto the tiniest hole he could find and has come out. He is still alive, and it look as if everytime he starts to come out he gets checked out by a shrimp, then goes back into the hole. How do i get this guy out?!

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

they are mostly nocturnal so he probably comes out at night

4. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

i have about 20000 in my tanks and they stay in the rocks!!! never out! he will be fine if he was acclimated. they are very sensitive to ph changes. dont expect to see him very often. good luck!!

5. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

very true

6. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

I have a brittle serpent and I used to never see him. Now I see him more but just his arms, he hardly ever comes completly out. Mine also likes the heater. I always keep the temp at 79 and all the time he's tangled around the heater. Good luck with it :)

7. gatorsandman

gatorsandman Astrea Snail

Yea i only get to see the legs of mine but hes a hitchhicker so i can put up with it :)

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

no guys the problem is I think hes stuck in the hole its smaller than a dime i just dont want him lodged in that space i know that are personalble critters its not my first one. I just dont like that my peps and cleaner are ganking him in the hole whenever he wants to come out

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

It depends on the star and how his personality is. Our first star, a Harlequin serpent star, we got from our first CUC. He hardly ever comes out, we just see where he hides. He hardly comes out even at night. Then we have a fully grown red brittle star who sometimes pokes out during the day, but crawls all over the place at night. He's very active at night. Then we have a red serpent star who doesn't care whether it's night or day. If it's feeding time, he'll come flying out of where he's hiding grabbing at food all over the place. And then when we feed the sun corals at night, he'll come zooming out of his hidey hole. So I have one star that rarely comes out no matter what time of day, a star that comes out and is active at night, and then a star that doesn't care whether it's night or not.

So from my experience, it just depends on the star. The trend is that most serpent/brittle stars are active at night.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I have a bunch in my tank and they never come out during the day, but I've noticed them out at night.

12. ingtar_shinowa

i just need him out of that one hole, i think he cant get out and i want to make sure, any ideas? fresh water squrt or something?