Why Bash Petco more then other LFS?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sticksmith23, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Why do people automatically bash Petco for the most part when people mention "Petco"? You shouldn't bash an entire chain of stores because you have had one bad experience with one store. Do people even bother to find out where Petco gets their live stock from? I know where they get some of their saltwater stock from, and you can't beat those places for quality when talking about wholesalers. It is hit and miss when going to any LFS about the knowledge the employees will have. This is with any store, NOT JUST PETCO. I guess I really take offense to bashing Petco, because I have a really good one around me, and I would hate for them to loose business because of some post on here saying that they are a terrible place to buy live stock.

This is just a rant on my part, and maybe uncalled for. I am just tired of people bashing Chains of Stores because they had a bad experience with one or two stores in that chain.

2. Click Here!

3. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Good point. My first two fish (clowns) were bought there, and they are doing amazing

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Besides ORA, SA, and some stores order from ERI, most suppliers are piss poor IMO.

Also, why did your post from another thread need its own thread?

5. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

I have two clowns from PETCO as well both doing great. My issue is not where they get fish and corals but the level of expertise and knowledge that "most" petcos have in regards to sw. And the level of care and attention they give to livestock due to not being just a sw fish store. I have been in a petco. and asked the Guy what the salinity is in the tank that he was getting me an anemone out of and he responded what's that? PETCO may be good for some odd ball stuff every so often and prices but not high on my list to shop at IMO

6. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I think the bigger issue is how they handle livestock once it is in their store. I have been to one with a fairly knowledgeable staff and good looking livestock. However, the one closest to me is very poorly taken care of. I would say 70% of the fish had ich and the majority of the tanks had aiptasia in them. I think it is hit a miss with petco, but just as much responsiblity falls on us to know what we are buying before we buy it. It is sad when you see livestock in poor health, but we should know enough to not buy that livestock.

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I think that saltwater fish and reef livestock should be treated as a precious, and limited resource. In many cases, they actually are....I dont think the big box approach to caring for animals is the way to go. It should be left to the experts, and those people that have a genuine care and interest in the well being of the live stock. Your dedicated reef store is dependant upon good quality stock, and good quality care of said stock to grow a business and to thrive. PetCo is huge, reef keeping is only a tiny fraction of how they make money....they are not as insented to keep the stock healthy...in my opinion. Freashwater fish, I have no problem with. Most or farm raised, and most are easy to keep healthy....saltwater, is another story. I like what Petsmart does....they sell the supplies, and have a sign up that says they do not feel that they are the best source for supplying the live stock...as it takes more attention than they can provide given the scale of the business they are running. I know that some petco's have nice saltwater sections...those are the ones that are lucky to have a good reefer on staff...but I bet if that ONE, and I do mean ONE, person moves on...their stock goes to crap pretty quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Sounds like some of you guys are talking about 1 of my LFS-ICH and aptasia loaded tanks and this places has been selling SW for 20yrs same owner!! It's all about the management!!!

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

There are four aquatics people at my petco, one amazing very experienced Guy, one that's ok, one that thinks ten watts of indacescent light can grow a nem, and one that doesn't know what "fowlr" is. The livestock is horrible, all the tangs have ich(there in 5 gallon tanks), and alot of fish have niped fins.

11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

But I agree, private lfs can be just as bad.

12. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Agree that some private LFS's are bad...and like Petco, I dont buy from them either. I think they should go out of business. Do it right, or dont do it at all.