Why are there bubbles on my sand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by freshtosalt, Jan 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Noticed green slime algae on my sand today. Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, and SG are all fine. All read zero (0) except pH and SG which are 8.2 and 1.022 respectfully.

Also noticed these bubbles on the surface of the sand and the green slime. What is it/are they and how do I get rid of them, or should I worry about them at all???

All livestock are doing fine.

Please help. Was, "Will my rock die", now, "What the heck is this stuff???"

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Thats oxygen being produced by your cyanobacteria and thats not a good thing!

5. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I read the articles and I have sucked out most of the algae. I also put a Phosphate absorber in the sump for a while.

I purchased an orange diamond goby, supposed to help w/ the algae; however all it has done so far is dig a hole under a rock :(... I also added 10 more hermits and 10 black turbo snails. I think there are about 25-30 crabs now and 30-35 snails.

Also wanted to let everybody know that my peppermint shrimp had babies the other night ;D... My son and I watched it happen :eek:. Anybody else have that happen??

6. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

way cool on your shrimp post pics if you can

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I can't say that I have seen a shrimp have babies ;D
    Congratulations. Smoke a cigar for me...
    Jim

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Get a lawn mower blennie, its a vacum cleaner for algea but it does not eat cyanobacteria. There is not much that does. If you cant control it, try slime away, its reef safe. My son let his 30g reef tank get out of hand and we used it in that tank and it killed all the cyanobacteria. If you use it take out all your charcoal and stop skimming for 3 days. Then add your charcoal and phosphban and skimmer and change 25% of water. Must use phospophate resin because dead algea and cyanobacteria release phosphates back into the water. Good luck!

10. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I got a diamond goby and put some phosphate absorber in the sump. I had to get rid of my diadema because she was attacking the goby, and the other fish too... The goby is doing a nice job so far.. I'll keep you posted.

Building my own 20gal fuge. do I have to have the baffles between the fuge and the inlet or can I just drill some 1/4" holes along the top of the inlet piece? I coud gain app. 2-3" on the fuge and make the sump app 1" larger too.

Also, someone told me that because of the amount of LR and crabs, etc... I have that I do not have to worry about getting any fish out of the tank that may die in it... I trust this person very much, but everything I have read tells me that a dead fish causes major problems... Anybody???

Roger

11. Black_Raven

Who ever told you not to remove any dead fish from your tank is nuts! You should remove dead fish immediately! Otherwise you will have an ammonia and nitrate spike!

12. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

Starting my fuge soon. I am not using any baffles. I have a 4" inlet and a 4 1/2" return. The actual Fuge will be app. 14" wide. I will have a 3-4" DSB and app. 15-20 lbs of LR as well as a huge bundle of brillowpad algae and some grape calourpa. Tried to attach a pic, but it is too big. I'll add some pics to my photo gallery of the Fuge.

Roger