why are some led lights SOOO expensive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You did mention nuclear, but you also stated twice that the US should be oil dependent ;) LED's only cost more now because they are "new" (even though they have been around for longer than I have been alive!). They are very inexpensive to make and sometime soon all incandescents will be a thing of the past. Natural gas is seeing a huge spike right now, especially with the new reserves and sources being found (I assume you are referring to NG from shale). NG is not to be considered renewable. My company works for all of the major NG suppliers in the northeast and have a ton of work because of the NG boom. However we are already looking towards what is next once the fall starts (and it will!). And agreed on wind, solar, and hydro. Also why I said they are a start, but not the answer ;)

And I do wish America caught on faster to diesels! I have nothing against them and prefer them to gas. They certainly can be just as efficient as hybrids, but no where near as efficient as pure electrics.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

The only thing I have to say to that is electric cars still have very limited range. The volt was funded by taxes so I think it was wrong. I DO not want to get into the volt though I really have problems with it and I do not want to talk about it. My dad wants to get a diesel, but the only one that isn't a 2500 pick up that can tow our boat is a Mercedes Benz GL and they are just way way way to expensive. We are hoping Land Rover brings a diesel Discovery.....Louisiana has huge amounts of Natural Gas, it's starting to become quite a booming industry

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Straying off topic here, but I can't let this one pass me up.

To preface: I am an engineer (structural to be specific) and I work and specialize in the small gas turbine engine industry.

Hybrid/electric cars are a joke, and are far from the solution. There's two very large issues here that are rarely accounted for.
    1) The batteries. There is a huge environmental impact to mass produce large batteries such as these require. Not only in manufacturing emissions, but also in the rare earth materials which are necessary. And don't forget the issue of disposal once these batteries have exceeded their usable life - another environmental issue.
    2) Where that electricity on the grid comes from. The majority of our power comes from coal-fired plants (see the figure below - thanks Greg!). Coal fired electrical plants have THE biggest and THE worst impact on the environment. Buring fosil fuels in your vehicle have less impact than using power from a coal-fired plant.

Exactly, on that latter point. It's all about cost savings.

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Evolved shoots, he scores!

Someone else that recognizes that battery powered cars are coal powered vehicles!

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I have done in the past quite a bit of research(online :D ) on Electric/hybrids and I have not found anything convincing in their favor. Batteries like CFLs are very dangerous. Also to produce the batteries they have to mine the rare metals in Canada and than ship all the parts all over the world, then to japan to produce and by the time you have a finished product you wasted all the energy gains in manufacturing. Nuclear makes a lot of since, but after the Japanese earthquakes people will be scared of it........

7. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

derr

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah even I am starting to think the train derailed a bit. lol and getting off topic isn't a big deal to me

11. Toallhisdoom

and the chevy cruz, technically can get infinit miles per gallon! because its battery will let you travel a certain amount of miles using NO GAS! its only like 50miles or something, but for my with my 40mi per day commute i would never buy gas again! lol just charge it every night. So during that first 50 miles of driving the car you are getting infinit mpg! lol score

12. Toallhisdoom

I am op and i approve this off topic! Shazam!

and thanks anemone for the great lights! my tank is begging me for another one, but my heart is telling me to buy this clam.... lol!