Why are nerites so dumb?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i dont get it almost all of my nerites have climbed into the protection cup around the intake of my HOB skimmer and have dided from not being able to get out once they've got theirselves stuck.

Any of your inverts this stupid?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They aren't dumb. They live in intertidal areas and spend some of their day out of the water. Be creative. Invent an area where they can get out of the water away from your cup. The other option is, after a couple of hours, pick them up and put them back in your tank.

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I did have a peppermint shrimp take the wild ride up and over the weir where he promptly was sucked into the durso and down into the skimmer section of my sump. He was there probably about 7 hours before I noticed. It was a terrible time getting him out due to space constraints. I had to bait him with my tantalizing hand to clean and then flip him into a mason jar while he wasn't looking 8)

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Every last one of my nerites has had problems getting flipped and dying lately. I'm not sure why. I tried to keep up flipping them over, but I finally had to give up. Even though they are known as bulldozers, I really like my huge turbo snails. They have been thriving for over a year now, and I never remember having to flip one over. Once your coral grows out enough to be securely attached, I think they are a great investment.

6. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

how smart do you expect a snail to be?

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You would be surprised! There is more to snails than you would think. Check out this article:

Astonishing Snail History
    ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol what i noticed they like to do is climb to the top of the intake protection and then they get inside the protection case and fall on their back and die, usually happens at night when im asleep because a lot of the times in the mornings i find them like this, like this mornig i have one on its back on the inside of the cup

surprised he survived that was one lucky shrimp, i see my cleaner go by the intake of my skimmer and i get so worried that he is going to get sucked up into the skimmer

yea i havent noticed any of mine fliping over and dying lately unless they get into the intake, sucks about yours dying. lol and thats why i glue pretty much everything dow, mainly cause of my urchin, my nerites like to stay on my glass the majority of the time

lol not very smart at all

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Pufferchick....don't throw them away. If they are dead, you're house is going to stink to the high heavens. They closed their operculum. Put them back in the water....they are alive.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, i havent tossed any out i figured if they really are dead that the inverts could eat their meat and maybe the hermit crabs could possibly use their shells.

Good to know about them stinking up the house though, i didnt know about that part

12. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone