Why Are Anemones under Inverts?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by OldandNew, Dec 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm placing the question here because it may be a stupid question and I don't think I'll get beat up here with it (not that I would elsewhere, however).

Why are Anemone in the Invert section and not under Corals? Are they not Kith and Kin with the Corals?

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Porifera - encrusting sponge, barrel sponge, finger sponge, glassy sponge, white slipper sponge, brown sponge, orange sponge, vase sponge
    Cnidaria - pale anemone, pink-tipped anemone, zoanthid, sea fan (soft coral), cannonball jellyfish, Portuguese man-o’-war, hard coral
    Echinodermata - pencil urchin, long-spined sea urchin, sea star, sea cucumber, brittle star, sand dollar, feather star
    Mollusca - queen conch, magpie shell, clam, oyster, mussel, scallop, sea snail, sea hare, cuttlefish, octopus
    Arthropoda - green reef crab, spiny lobster, cleaner shrimp, mantis shrimp
    Annelida - feather duster worm, purple fan worm, Christmas tree worm

'Cause it's the way Matt set it up ;D Anyone can cut and paste right?
    Let's ask the head Honcho :cool:
    Kingdom: Animal
    Subkingdom: Protozoa
    Subkingdom: Metazoa
    Type: Spongiae
    Type: Cnidaria
    Class: Hydrozoa
    Class: Scyphozoa
    Class: Anthozoa
    Subclass: Cerianthipatharia
    Subclass: Octocorallia
    Subclass: Zoantharia
    Order: Corallimorpharia
    Order: Actiniaria
    Order: Scleractinia

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Aren't they technically a fish? :)

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I'm over my head already, and you want me to answer that ;D
    No spinal column?
    J

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

heh. Seriously, probably should be in corals. ::) Oh well. lol

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, perhaps technically, but, as a casual reefer....I have always looked for anemones under inverts and here is my convoluded thinking....

fish - spine aka...vertebrate

anemone - no spine ...aka Invertebrate

coral - hard skeletal structure, or attached to a hard skeletal structure, or a soft coral that is permanently attached to a rock or such.

also, corals are non-motile (non moving) inverts while anemones are motile (moving) inverts.....

I don't know if that makes much sense but, we less technically informed go to invert sections to look for info on anemones....right or wrong...

We don't all think..."hmmm, cnidaria, animals with stinging cells, that is where the anemone would be..." Well, you know what I mean!!! LOL!

;D ::)

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I hear ya Sue! :)
    That's some of the stuff I wrestled with initially.
    Now I am back to being confused.
    [smiley=ohwe.gif]

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Ya know, I was born confused, and therapy really hasn't helped! LOL. I think I need to go drink some of that Southern Comfort Egg Nog I got in the fridge downstairs.....mmmmmm ;D ::) It will all make sense in an hour!

11. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i have a question on corals being non-motile. i always thought some corals do move. i have xenias that move and i thought they were corals. unless im wrong and they are not corals. and i have shrooms that move and i thought they were classified as corals as well. i may be wrong, but we are all here to learn right!

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=tresguey link=board=Newbie;num=1102846737;start=0#8 date=12/13/04 at 04:28:57]i have a question on corals being non-motile. i always thought some corals do move. i have xenias that move and i thought they were corals. unless im wrong and they are not corals. and i  have shrooms that move and i thought they were classified as corals as well. i may be wrong, but we are all here to learn right![/quote]
    Not all corals are non-motile. My leathers don't necessarily "move", but I seen them grow away from their original spot, leaving bits of tissue behind. Plate corals also "move" so there are always going to be exceptions.

Personally, I've always thought of anemones as invertibrates.