why am I still getting...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Nov 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Okay my tank is 5 months old and I am still getting a green algae on my glass, which isn't hairy algae it's a smaller harder kind and I am still getting a bit of brown algae on the glass and powerheads.

I do regular water changes, use ro water, lights on from 10am - 9pm, feed once a day, clean out my filter, and I don't know what else I can do?

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I hate to say it but that's what Mag Floats are for, to clean the glass every few days to a week, whatever is needed.
    I have some tanks to clean every 2 to 3 days and I have others that only get it every 6 or 7 days.

4. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

You can't beat a mag float, use mine every few days...keeps the glass nice and clean! :)

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

and when you get tired of your old mag floats, you can mod them into frag stations with some egg crate :)

My tank is almost a year old and I still have that garbage growing on my glass somewhat. I wish it were coralline I had to clean off :)

6. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

You could try running a phosphate/silicate sponge in a canister filter to help with algae control. Keep up with your calcium and alkalinity to promote coraline growth . If all else fails maybe think about going bare bottom but remember if you have livestock remove the substrate slowly.

7. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I did forget to ask how old your light bulbs are Nemo.

darkliteseeker, I love your signature and the phosphate sponge idea! Quote for truth!

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Nemo79,
    I think you are doing a great job with maintenance, much better than I did for the first 5 months I had my tank. But, 5 months isn't a long time. Most tanks don't settle down until a year or more. Keep doing everything you are doing and any algae outbreaks will probably be minimal.
    Like Rayjay, Frizza and Sertonin said, don't worry about the slight slimy algae on the glass, that's normal.

10. RCBruce

RCBruce Astrea Snail

I personally don't know of anyone with a successful tank that doesn't have to clean the glass every few days. :confused: I just accept it as part of the hobby.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't see a skimmer in you sig. Do you have one?

1 person likes this.
  12. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Oh good, I am glad everyone else has the same algae woo's as myself. I do have the magnet....nice little toy! And I do have a skimmer, the remora c.