Why am i having so much trouble keeping acros?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Godbert, Jul 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

I am having a heck of a hard time keeping acros alive, i have 150w of mh and 2x 65w actinics over a 30 gallon tank a aquaclear 50 powerhead, a fifty gallon filter a HOB fuge and a 50 gallon skimmer, here are water params from a week ago
    30 SPS Tank:
    Ammonia: .15
    Ph: 8.2
    NO2: .075
    NO3:10
    Alk: 2.2
    Calc: 495

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

you know..........can't say for sure but I will say that there's not enough flow in the tank. With acropora, the more flow you have, the better.

1 person likes this.
  4. Godbert

do you think that could be it? shoul i just bite the bullet an buy some koralias?

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd vote for lets find the source of your ammonia and start there, thats really bad on most corals

1 person likes this.
  6. Godbert

should i get some ammo-lock? i cant think of anywhere it would be coming from

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

acro's are def a challenge, and should be kept in a species tank only.
    If you have softies they could be killing the acro's. Run carbon 24/7 - that should help.

You should also have no ammonia nitrite or nitrate! they require optimal water quality and require alot of attention. Something for the experts in my opinoin!
    A low KH will also kill them off

hope to have helped

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

how do i test for kh?i have a nitrate sponge should i add it? i am already running phoslock

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The ammonia and NO2's are off the charts for any sps coral thats is enough right there to kill them in and of its self. You made no mention of Magnesium ? a very important mineral for them to convert the Ca and Carbonates into calcium carbonates to grow with. And the 2.2 Alk is low its being suppressed by the Ca. and I'm thinking non existent Magnesium . How old is this system ? what are the temps hitting for the Max highs ? Oh I have more questions :)

P.S the Alk at 2.2 should be at 4.5 to 5.0 if converted from DKH to Alk

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

You will have to buy a kh test kit. if you have a low kh you will have to buffer your water.
    Not sure about the nitrate sponge, but an ozonizer would help bring the amm and nitrite to nil.
    As far as i'm aware - without a form of denitrafication, your tank will always have nitrates.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I'd put in a couple tablespoons of arm and hammer (bicarbonates) mixed in cup of fresh water, wait an hour, then re-test your alk/dkh. You should be able to find that somewhere around the house. Add more slowly as needed to get dkH up to a range of 12-14 or 4.5 -5.0 Alk as Tangster said. Red Sea makes the Mag test kit I use.

1 person likes this.