wht substrate do you use?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jonathan, Feb 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i was just curious to know what substrate you prefer to use in your reef tanks? all answers/comments appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Carib-Sea Custom Sea Floor mixed in with a little Southdown sand. :)

4. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Carib-Sea AragAlive fine aragonite live sand.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Caribsea ArgAlive. 1 pound per gallon...makes about a 1 " deep bed in my Stretch hex tank. Looks great, does not collect too much junk. Easy to clean and stir.

6. jonathan

i've noticed a few of you are using arag-alive. have you noticed a difference (or by comparison) if the arag-alive actually helps jump start your cycling process and speeds up the bacteria population?

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I am not sure if it helps or not, as I have always used it...but my tanks have cycled quickly using it. Not sure if the sand helped or not. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Michaelr5

Same here

10. jonathan

are you using the oolitic sand? what's your take/preference/opinion on the grain size and does it tend to get blown around in your tank?

11. Michaelr5

I used ARAG-LIVE Special Grade 1-2mm It is a fine, but not too fine sand. It did tend to blow around a little at first, but it settled down and actually created a nice effect as is was smoothed out by the currents. Sand will also tend to stabilize and stick together as the bio activity increases. Another good choice if you find the special grade too white, is the Fiji Pink. I used that in my refugium.

Mike

12. jonathan

thanks for the reply...i want a real pristine look and was leaning towards the arag-alive oolitic sand, maybe i'll take a peek at the special grade. i have used only fiji pink in the past and wanted to find something a little less "hued". thanks aqain for the input.