who's turkey basting and not on thanksgiving.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Night-Rida, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Who's routinely using a turkey baster to blow debris or algae off live rock or sand bed? Ive recently got my nitrates down to zero (0)., and its time to tackle my cyano.. So ive cut back on daylights from 9 hours to 6hrs a day. its helping.. never turkey baster before.. and have been doing it last 3 days.. seems to work well.. I just got my LR clean of cyano, and I decide to scrap off all my pink coraline from glass to seed the clean live rock now..

if you do use this form of LR cleaning, how often do you do it and whats your results?

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I use a turkey baster to blast my rocks every time I do a water change. It is amazing how much junk settles on the rocks! It's really helped get my nitrates down.

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I blow the rocks down once in a while

5. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

about once a week for me.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i do it once in a while, mainly whenever i look at it, or if im just tired of looking at cyano, i try so hard not to dust my DSB but sometimes i accidently squirt it, when i dust the rocks my tank clouds up soo bad but after it settles it looks all pretty again with most of the cyano gone

so i say once or twice a week, im probably doing it too often

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'm basting tonight,i got my skimmer up and working(finally)now i'm gonna boil some water a burn a couple aiptasia to death !!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Ever use a pump ? Its easier and does a better job I found if you have enough internal circulation and enough snails and crabs and a few emerald crab then its never a problem .I'd get myself a diatom filter to cleanb up a tank will suck up the waste as well and polish the water so clear you could not even see the water

1 person likes this.
  10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Ive tried to use one of my sureflows PH (1400gph) and my corals get pissed.. so the baster is a better option for me as I can control the flow and aim in tighter places.. but I do use powerhead once in a while..

11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

I use a 60cc tube feeding syringe. I get 'em from our dietitian at the work. ;D
    They work great!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i started to blast my rock ever since I decided little piles of dust on my tankbed are bad