Whooo...

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Rustynuts, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

Just a quickie.

Our Tomato Clowns have laid a batch of eggs. Just found them today and we think they might hatch tonight! :trampolin

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Very nice. Congrats and good luck.

4. Rustynuts

Cheers. They're still there this morning. Quite what we're going to do when they do hatch is beyond me really. This is completely out of the blue.

I don't suppose there's any chance they'll survive is there?

Can't get any pics either as they're tucked away right in a corner and we can only just see them with a small torch. They're right behind a powerhead so I thought it prudent to turn it off. Don't want them all hatching straight into a mincer now, do we.

5. Rustynuts

Still no sign, but I managed to get a rare pic of the female just poking her nose out. The eggs are right in the corner behind the (non functioning) powerhead.

[​IMG]

6. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

How exciting---keep us informed!

7. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Is that a breeder tank you have floating so if you can get some to put in there?

8. Click Here!

9. Rustynuts

Yep, well spotted.

There's a large Goby in the tank (along with his Pistol shrimp) so if they do hatch I don't think they'll have much of a chance. The breeder tank has a piece of filter floss in the base to allow circulation without letting the fry out through the holes (hopefully), and a sucker is holding it to the glass.

It's all a bit hasty and unplanned, but it's the best we can come up with short term without upsetting the pair too much. We're gonna have to try feeding them with ground (pulverised) Spirulina. Wifey read that if there's a chance we can get them to eat that for the first few days, then we can move them onto something larger to bring them on. If we do manage to get any, then we're going to be making it up as we go along really. All the other tanks are fully stocked so we don't have anywhere to move Goby to, or to move the fry either.

All good fun eh.;D

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am reading along and I see that your using a "torch" to see them and I and I am thinking WTF, why in the hell is he using a torch, and thats when I hear my grandfathers voice in my head "It's a Bloody flashlight you arse!" LOL

Cool on the eggs, wish I could get my clowns to lay some.... Are you going to try are rear them?

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Congrats on being Grandparents;D I've waited a long time for my clowns to make me proud, but still no eggs. You guys must be doing something right b/c that doesnt happen everyday or in every system. Good luck with the grand kids. Cheers mate Luna

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  12. Rustynuts

They're hatching. It's a race to see if we can get them before Goby eats them. :-/