Wholesaler Labels Aquaculture as Immoral!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mikejrice, Mar 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Very.

2. Click Here!

3. fish_dave

fish_dave Plankton

Wow, what a lot of discussion over a web site post that I did not even know existed. I went to my own web site to find the article and have been trying to think where it came from. I think that it came from a phone interview for an article written for one of the trade magazines about 8 or 9 years ago. The author of the article knew very little of the fish trade and almost nothing of the coral trade. It looks to me like the article on our web site is made up of extracts from that trade article. It is quite disjointed and has a lot of hyperbole. It came from a phone interview getting my thoughts on the then common practice of chopping up corals and selling them as Aquacultured. It was not written as a stand alone piece for our web site. The web site guy that we employ works off site and occasionally puts up little pieces like this when he finds them. I think that this one has been there for many years, I did not remember it. Maybe I will tell him to take it down and will write something easier to understand.

It is pretty easy to find more information about my stance on Aquaculture or Mariculture. Several articles have been written about it. I am also very easy to contact and am always happy to give information about my thoughts on Aquaculture, Mariculture, Sustainability, and the Aquarium trade in general. I think that the Aqua Engineer blog article showed very little journalistic integrity. A simple phone call to me would have cleared up much.

I have been involved with the Mariculture and Aquaculture of corals since the very beginning of the practice. I gave hundreds of photos and spent many hours talking with the exporters in Indonesia helping them develop their farms. Walt Smith came to Solomons with his manager for a week at our farm to see how we did things when his farm was in development. All of this was because I belived in it, not for money as I received none, all info was given freely. I ran the C-Quest hatchery in Puerto Rico for two years and have been involved with Sustainable Aquatics consulting. Aquaculture is certainly not foreign to me, I have been involved with it for years. However my views on supporting local villagers and economies have always taken first priority. I think that Ret's article posted on reefs.com does a good job of explaining that priority.

In the future I would suggest a phone call or an internet search before publishing an article. Journalistic integrity would dictate more fact finding before publishing in my opinion.

Regards, Dave

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

REt's does do that, and if it was stated as such on your website, would prob not have ever become an issue, IMO.

"In the future I would suggest a phone call or an internet search before publishing an article. Journalistic integrity would dictate more fact finding before publishing in my opinion. " - Dave

If a company issues a statement on their website, I feel that they should stand behind that statement, and I feel its fair for whomever to comment on such statement. I think its unfair to hold a "journalist" more accountable or to a higher standard than you hold yourself, your own company/website.

That being said, I applaud you for the work you do in these areas. Just may wanna have a little talk with your IT guy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I appreciate you stopping by to clarify Dave. I agree 100% that Ret got to the heart of the matter, but please understand, before visiting your website, I had no knowledge of your company even as far as who owned it. Looking around the site a bit, there's not much that could nullify the confusing statements about aquaculture. This was obviously all a misunderstanding, and i will be editing the article to reflect that. I would definitely suggest making your points more clear on that page.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Talbot's article cleared up PAF's position well. It just shows that companies should be careful with what is posted on their website, and likewise I'm sure Mike admits he should have done some background research.

From Talbot's article:

This topic would make for an interesting debate. There are strong arguments on both sides and I honestly don't know where I stand on it.

7. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Edited out after reading statement below. I'll just say that my hackles were raised when reading the web site. Given that it's not the company's position my original post here is moot. Still, poorly written and it should be updated.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

You got owned Mike!:eek: