Wholesaler Labels Aquaculture as Immoral!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mikejrice, Mar 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thales

Thales Plankton

I don't think so. I read the PAF page in its entirety, and didn't see the issues that Mike saw, and don't really see anything harsh in what PAF wrote. Their statement basically says that first world aquaculture chop shops take away income from indigenous peoples whose depend on the trade for income because they depend on collection and mariculture for survival. Its just a call to support communities and coral farming at the point of origin.

2. Click Here!

3. Thales

Thales Plankton

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I still don't see anywhere that it singles out 1st world chop shops. Are you sure this is something you're getting from the piece or is it coming from your knowledge of the company?

5. mikejrice

1 person likes this.
  6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok I read that, maybe in the future they should have Ret write their PR pieces for them. I don't disagree with their stance quite as much after reading that. And I would disagree with calling the "chop shops" a sustainable healthy version of culturing corals, I would not be in anyway against an American company aqua culturing coral in their in a building somewhere at any level in a responsible manner. There are a TON of indigenous people everywhere supported by this country for almost everything we buy. I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna be against any American company starting or expanding into any responsible endeavor.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

"
    We at Pacific Aqua Farms stand behind the existing workers and suppliers of our trade and do not buy from companies in the aquaculture cottage industry that has sprung up outside of native habitats."

That seems to sound like they are against other "cottages" trying to create a living for themselves. I understand his loyalty towards the people they have worked with, i still feel, that in making a statement like this, there were a TON better ways to write it, and it needed more specifics and information.

I wonder if he wrote that from his laptop, while wearing Nikes? My point is, if you're going to make a stance for the benefits and support for helping "indigenous" people, those items and many others should probably not be bought by him. I realize that is vague, and for a purpose, i don't want this to get into a political debate.

But like I said, maybe they should hire Ret to explain their beliefs in the future.

8. Click Here!

9. Thales

Thales Plankton

I am pretty sure they read this thread. :D

10. Thales

Thales Plankton

Just from the page. See bold below.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

We at Pacific Aqua Farms stand behind the existing workers and suppliers of our trade and do not buy from companies in the aquaculture cottage industry that has sprung up outside of native habitats.

That broadens the stroke a bit doesn't it? Maybe I just don't understand/know what exactly companies in the aquaculture cottage industry outside of native habitats means?? That doesn't sound to me like just first world companies, but maybe other island nations outside of their territory getting into the process as well.

Like I said, just poorly written.

12. mikejrice

You are probably right. Either way, at least we got to the heart of the matter.