who uses....this is like a poll wanna hear from u

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Sep 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

ok who uses the following?

a) mechanical filter (hang on/canister)
    b) protein skimmer
    C) both

If you have any disadvanteges or advantages please feel free to tell all.

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I use both a skimmer and HOT filter on my tanks just for mechanical filtration and extra water movement. I clean the filter pads every 2-3 days. I have a couple of old penguin 330's that I use with the biowheels removed. I'm thinking about getting rid of them and just using more powerheads though.
    The disadvantage of using power filters is debris build up in the filter media. Thats why I clean the filter pads at least 2x/wk.

4. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Just a skimmer, and only hob's, with not serious problems. No prefilter sponges either

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Skimmer only. Used to have a hang on filter...but it was loud and ugly...so its gone! Never a problem.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't run a reef tank without a protein skimmer and my tanks are usually too large to allow me to use a hang on filter.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Both, Protein skimmer and HOB mostly for carbon filtering.

Jim

8. Click Here!

9. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Skimmer (wet) and adding a HOB this today to run zeolite and carbon. Also adding in a 2 littlefish phosban reactor.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A Skimmer for me is a must again for me, but not to large of one not a huge fan of over skimming , Plus they also act as an O'2 Reactor.. Then as a rule the out let of the skimmer is ran through a specimen cup that has been drilled in the bottom and hung on then inside of the sump and then carbon bad is placed in that for water to pass through . Carbon is a must for me also. The trace elements and metals they contain that any carbon will remove are more then capable of building up and then they will boil out of the sand and rock work then Kaboom also if a a fuge is used the carbon will remove the chlorophyll that makes the water look a bit yellow. Then in that same cup I'll run floss for a few days every other week or two also to pull solids out also.

11. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I run an Ehiem canister and an protien skimmer. I only clean my canister about every 12 weeks- all my lfs's tell my it is best as it aids in bio-filtration.
    My water stays crystal clear with this combo, it's not as advanced as what is used by some of my brethren on this site but it seems to work very well for me.

12. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

wow alot of people have the same set up as me and it's good to know that mechanical filterations isn't as bad as some would say! When I first started adding livestock I had copods and anphipods growing in the filter like it was a fuge and I thought this is great and good food for my fishies. Ummm can't wait till I can try having a mandarin, my hubby wants one sooooo bad but I told him NO not yet. Thanks for everyone participating.