Who says mantis are mean, dangerous animals!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I cant remember what kind of sand it was....it has been up for a while. I know it was not live sand and is sugar fine....almost too fine IMO.

I was trying to do a variety of sands in each of my different tanks. My reef tank is done fiji pink, my mantis is black, my puffer is a mixture of the fiji pink and black sand, and my scorpions is really coarse with some shells mixed throughout.

I dont honestly know which one I like the best...dont like the scorpions sand that much...holds too much detritus. Black is cool however it looses its color and gets a greyish overall hue to it. I definately would not use it with my MH lights.

I know my LFS still sells the black sand...I will look and send you a PM next time I am there. I can picture the bag...only comes in 5lb bags but cant remember what brand

2. Click Here!

3. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

remember you wrote that one day cause i will come back and haunt you with it..... and yes kim is a special person for well you know.

back to the subject

bob has some brigh colors and one day when i get the 150 running maybe a small nano for a mantis will be in my future.

4. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

thank you that would be great but post the pictures on this threand so anyone wit a simmilar question could also see it but it's up to you

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

will do! I think I am going to go to LFS tomorrow....one of the guys is going to give me some zoo frags to replace the ones that my fish ate!

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Sweet, thank you very much. This thread has been very inspiring. Now I need now is a sheet of acrylic to build a tank!

7. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Can you keep a mantis with anything else or should they be kept totally alone?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've kept mantis with fish, snails, crabs etc. You need to understand that even well fed mantis will eventually take out a snail or crab. I've never lost a fish. Schackmel's fish even hides from people he doesn't know in Bob's den and get's pushed out by her mantis whereas most people would tell you that would mean "instant death" to the fish.

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Princess (my son's mantis) shares her nano tank with a damsel. It's in my office and I like to see something actually "swimming" in the tank. There used to be a hermit crab in there, too - come to think of it, I haven't seen that hermit crab lately....