Who runs a 2 Bulb T5?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by MCHRKiller, Jul 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MCHRKiller

MCHRKiller Plankton

I have always followed the old thought of more light is better, since my tank swap I am running an experiment with a 2bulb current T5...78watts on a 50G tank which is 20" deep. Seems very low IME, however my corals(all polyps) are opening and seem to be responding well. I am looking to see if others have shown similar results with only 2bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 20 gallon long. I am using a coralife aqualight high output t5 2 bulb 10,000. I am very impressed. They work great!

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is plenty of light, the only reason for more tubes is if you don't like the coverage.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Have a 2 bulb unit on my setup right now (returned my 4-bulb and am ordering LEDS). My zoas are stretching higher and higher everyday to compensate for the lack of light. However, my brain coral is growing quickly (I attribute that to feedings). I had this unit on my first setup 3 years ago and my zoas, green star polyps and coralline grew like wildfire (lost a brain coral though).

In summary, I think it is adequate for softies.

6. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

all depends on what is in your tank, with only the two bulbs

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

I'm running a Nova Extreme 2 x 24w T5HO w/ ATI Coral Plus bulbs on my 29h (18" deep). While I do only have softies and leathers, most took over a month to fully acclimate to the light, and I'm still getting the most growth from the ones on the substrate.

8. Click Here!

9. MCHRKiller

MCHRKiller Plankton

Glad to see others are having success wit it. My corals at this point anyway are not stretching toward the light. All seem content...the fixture is placed directly above the rock structure and the tank is only 15" wide. I am also going to assume that it being an acrylic tank helps as it allows more light to pass unlike glass canopies.