Who really test there water and why?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kenny951, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

Arnt all problems solved with clean water? Everybody who has had a tank set up for awhile knows when its time to change some water just by looking at there tank and knowing they havnt done it in awhile.

I do own a Reef Master Test kit with a bunch of test in it. But ive yet to even open it up. Ive tested water before and got my results. What do i do? I change some water.
    From my experience as long as you do your rutien maintenace. Clean glass, and keep filtration systems clean with a rutien water change every couple weeks everything should be fine...

Am i wrong or am i wrong???

Please inlighten me as to why we need to test for all these thing when all we really need to do is change some water...
    This gose for a typical saltwater tank. Not some 300 gallon personal tropical swimming hole.

Obviously you have to test salinity i no that.

Im just thinking out loud. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i never really used my test kits. actually probably just used them to post on here what my params are so people could help me out. if my corals werent opening or my fish were acting weird then i would do a water change. thats pretty much how i did it. i went 2 years once without ever having a test kit. my tanks did great

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I use tests on a regular basis, simply because if we're at a clients house every 2 week, I only have the one visit to potentially catch something that might have happened with the system.

5. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

It seems like they just tell us what we already know we are going to have to do.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I use my kits to make sure my parameters stay with in the safe range for coral. You can kill your coral when the values get outside of the safe range. Same for your fish. I do use them less now that I have my dosing figured out but I still use them.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

occasionally i would break out the test kit but once every two weeks at most

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Its important to test your waters when setting up a tank as well.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

setting up a tank is when testing is vital. thats the only way you know your ready to introduce anything. but once your tank is matured its not required as often.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Used it a lot in beginning to check the cycle.
    Just test for calcium, magnesium, and pH right now as we still don't have the dosing down. A water change won't necessarily change that.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I check alk/cal/mag about monthly for dosing, and by monthly I mean at least two times per month, once before and once two to three days after changing the dosing schedule to make sure my changes were correct. I never use the other test kits anymore.