who likes watching there mantis shrimp wreak havok?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mantis, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

i personnaly do, its so amazing watching them at work, laying waste to crab, i know some people act like its wrong or something but its natural, plus its healthy for them, and keeps there rapts in good shape, one of my mantis, my g. glabrous, shes very aggressive, she will smack just about anything i put in there, for instance yesterday i put a new piece of live rock in her tank, and five minutes later i hear smacking, and hes killing some hitchhiking crab, she wastes no time, even when shes not hungry, mantis shrimp are so awesome

2. Click Here!

3. wilko82

wilko82 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hey mantis i like to see them at work stumbling accross a video of a peacock on youtube is what made me want 1 in the first place do you have any vids you wish to share.

4. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

i actually just got a videocamera a week ago, so i will try to get some vids in a day or two

5. wilko82

wilko82 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

nice 1 mate i posted a video on here a few weeks ago but cant remember what the thread was called. it was a vid of my p.cilliata catching a shrimp.

6. mantis

mantis Flamingo Tongue

spearers can be brutal too, mine loves to shred damsels

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I love watching my mantis (N. Wennerae) destroy some crab. I tried video taping him kill a stone crab I found in my reef tank, but my girlfriend nearly dumped me. The "its nature" excuse didn't fly with her either.

My mantis hardly goes after anything anymore though. Except ghost shrimp which he loves to chase. Odd behavior for a smasher, I know. I only give him ghost shrimp for exercise and fun, but watching him chase them down reminds me of a lion going after a gazelle, only 100x faster.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

My mantis the aggressive type in the open...but that doesn't hide the fact that there's a snail shell graveyard outside of their dens. I've always wanted to give Bo an emerald crab, you know, something that fights back. But my mom says that if I do that, to make sure that she is no where near the house ::)

Also, I love watching them dig. Bo has caused his entire aquascape to sink over 2 inches into the sand bed.

I found a new trick I'm trying to get on video. I went to google and found a picture of a G. Smithii, printed it out, and cut it out like a stick puppet. I move it around outside the tank trying to make it act like a mantis, and Bo goes complete muscle man on it :lol: He flared up to make himself look very big and got right in the picture's face. I made the picture back down to make him think he won. There's nothing wrong with a good ole confidence builder, even if it's faked :)

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

HAHA that is awesome! I am totally going to try that. Thanks for the idea!

When Fister got into the overflow and ended up in the sump the emerald crab down there was ready to fight him. He went full speed at Fister... which would have ended badly for him if I hadn't got there in time.

I really expected the stone crab to put up a good fight but Fister was pretty smart about it. First whack put a hole in the crabs back and caused it to flee. It climbed to the top of a rock pile and tried to defend itself from there. Fister came from behind him on the underside of the rock and removed the claws one at a time. After every claw he would dive back under the rock and come from the other side. Then he went to work removing the legs until it was defenseless and immobile.

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

wow thats cruel! lol but cool

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The stone crab had been condemned to the death penalty for killing fish and other inverts in my reef tank.