Who got microbubbles?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by gkw, Apr 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, who here have microbubbles roaming in their tanks? What did you do to eliminate them?

I redid my sump(20gal) 5 times (pain in the a$$ :mad: ) and the microbubbles still reach my return chamber and into my tank...I guess it's too much flow (~650 - 700 GPH) through the sump, it is filled ~12gal at normal operations. It's not alot, but it's enough to bother the heck out of me. I want to see nothing but fishy and rocks.

Here is what I plan to do:
    I am going to buy me a 25 gal tub as my sump(the brand is "sterile") and a few small tubs. The smaller tubs are the chambers. I will stack 2 tub together and drill holes on the bottom of the 'top' tub...so the water will go into the sump as a stream through those holes. 2 total, 1 for overflow and 1 for the fuge drain.

With this new sump, I will have more room for backwash and more room for the microbubble to raise to the surface before reaching my return chamber.

What do you guys think? Will it eliminate the microbubbles problems? Or it's gonna be the 6th time redoing my sump and still find microbubbles in my tank?

OR just leave the microbubbles alone???
    Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!
    GKW

PS-This is my current sump's measurements...if I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

• sump.JPG
      sump.JPG
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

If it were me, I would try adding 2 more baffle plates in the area between the 8 and 9 inch measurements on your diagram. I have also seen people put a piece of filter foam between the baffles the full width of the sump to try and control bubbles, but it will need to be cleaned frequently since it will tend to accumulate detritus.

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I forgot to mention, I did have 2 pieces of foam filter between the baffles. I had 2 of them on the left of the return chamber before and I have it on each side of the return chamber now. It seems to reduce the bubbles, but still reached my MT.

I wanted to do the 'drip' sump is because I had a wet/dry filter before when it was freshwater and no bubbles at all. I tends to think it's because of the 'drip plate,' right? Or it's because the bubbles got used by the bacteria that live on the bioballs???

Thanks!

5. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Also, I have tried every reasonable solution...more baffles, more space between baffles...everything that has to do with baffles in the sump...i tried.

I really don't think I can use this sump, mainly because I need the room for backwash. If I didn't need the backwash room, I can try raising the baffles up...that will help alot, but I wish it's that simple. :(

PS-should this be here or "I made it" forum?

6. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

I defeated my micro bubble problem by simply using a micron bag (at the over flow dump hose) and a sponge (at the top of last baffle)

The micron bag (100 micron) does most of the work and any bubbles from the skimmer are defeated from the sponge.

The down fall of this method is.... I have to clean the bag like every 3-5 days and the sponge like every 2 weeks.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Yup, that's what I am doing now. I have the micron bag (not sure about the mircron) on the overflow too, but bubbles still won. I can actually see the microbubbles leaving the sponge and into my return chamber. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

can I buy your old sump if your making a new one? lol