Who ate my CLAM!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Popopzer, Jul 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Popopzer

Popopzer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey guys,

Havent posted in a while but i had a little problem last week I went to the Lf and bought a very nice clam it was doing great until the nexted night i left for a softball game came back an it was gone I was only gone for maybe 2 hrs...........I searched the whole tank pulled up all the rock and finally found it some1 dragged it into a cave and ate it clean who could have done this? I have a YS Maroon clown, 2 Fire Fish, 1 Coral Beauty,1 t Diamond Goby, Cleaner and Fire shrimp, 2 Emerald crabs and a couple of snais and hermits..........I though the coral beauty but i dont think it would have dragged acroos the tank............and ideas

Thanx Adam

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

+1 Coral Beauty. Angels in general are risky at best with clams.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's not to say that the fish killed your clam. Tell us a little more about your tank. Could be that you added it to a tank that is either too new or has insufficient lighting. Could also be that the clam was "sick" when you purchased it.

6. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Do you have a butler? If not then my bet is the coral beauty. Another possibility is perhaps it died and you didn't realize it. The hermits ganged up on the corpse.

Jack

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

. I have seen more damage done to clams from Hermits myself .. But then again it could not be a predator at all bu as mentioned the tank parameters or lighting ? Did you by chance set it somewhere then suddenly move it to another location in the tank ? I have never had a coral beauty to mess with a clam myself ..But have personally witnessed more then a few hermits and or brittle starts to devourer them

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I agree that it was probably injured when you bought it and the rest of the tank sensed it and cleaned it up. I have seen a few LFS just yank clams off their rocks when people buy them and not paying any mind to their byssal glands being attached to the rocks. If that happens, they are DOA and have no chance at survival.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

2 hermits carried the clam on their backs to the cave. the emeralds pryed open the mouth. and the coral beauty gets the blame! j/k :)

11. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

How big is the aquarium? I don't completely trust any crab or shrimp. That sounds like a lot of crustaceans, depending on how big the aquarium is. I have heard of a lot of cases of clams being eaten in aquariums that have a lot of crabs/shrimp for their size. Coral beauties are known clam nippers/COMPLETELY DEVOURERS though. . . could be either. It also depends on which one had the physical ability to drag the clam in the cave.