White trash?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Magnus, Jan 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Steve and Neighbor Tom... you guys always give great advise... just wanted to say that because I always benefit from your contributions as well :)

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

They definitely do. They're my main guys here and I really, REALLY would be lost without them. ReefSparky is also a great contribution to my begginer reefer life.

I love these guys!

Steve, I've been thinking about that filter sock. I may do a short sock with LR gravel below it. I'm having troubles on splitting the spaces in the sump tank since it's a 20 tall, which limits my designs. And since I don't really have any exp. on any of this, I appreciate the link to ReefSparky's sump build.

What do you think about the sock with LR gravel under it? Good idea, or nitrate factory?

- Mag.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I dont think you need it to be honest Magnus
    with the amount of rock you now have in tank, coupled with a fuge with macros
    you will have adequate biological capacity IME

You can only have as much bacteria as there are sufficient nutrients to sustain them
    so extra rock down there is of no great benefit IMO

Steve

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ok. I'm ready!!! I'm going to build this thing! Now I need a shopping list and a lot of good deals :) Wish me luck. I'll go to my LFS to find out the price for the socks. I suppose that will save me some space in there too, right?

Now I do have another question, as always ;)

I've seen most sump builds have shelves under the skimmer section. How is this beneficial to the whole thing? I hope this sump will help my tank run a little cooler. Temp gets to 82 if light is on a little more than 6 hrs.

Thanks for all the help, Steve. I really appreciate the input.

- Mag.

Edit: Is there a good (not so pricey) website to buy the necessary materials? (sock, siphon box, skimmers, return pump) What about overflow box? is this essential?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. steve wright

shelves in sump

they have those because most skimmers have an optimum perfomance height
    so if you get a skimmer and it states - skimmers optimum performance is in water 6 - 8 inches deep, and your sump has 10 inches of water depth,you need a 2 inch shelf in there to put skimmer on

Steve

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thank you again.
    There's so much to learn about reef tanks... I'm asking myself what did I get into? :)

Just had a catastrophe happening here and my lemonpeel, the bicolor baslett and one of the shrimp died. Too much CO2 since my lids were on all the time and bubbles were off. I can't believe how stupid I was. It's killing me inside.

Just posted a while ago in the ASAP section. http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/2-...-heavily-please-healp-81488-2.html#post803569

:cry:

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

After the drama...

Ok, so after all that drama that caused the death of a cleaner shrimp and my beautiful lemonpeel dwarf angel, I'm back at the sump/fuge build.

Here's what I got from snooping around and picking others suggestions:
    [​IMG]

After I silicone the acrylic to the glass, I will need to figure out the pipes and the measure and all that. Is there a guide that will help me to calculate the flow and what type of siphon box I'll need?

- Mag.

1 person likes this.
  10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

like i said before, I don't have experience in this area, but +K for the drawing!

11. steve wright

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

THat's a great website. I'm reading a lot about it. I was a little confused for a while between siphon box and overflow box. They both seem to accomplish the same function.